View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 11:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frito Bandido View Post
The longest shot I would conceivably need to take in my house is about 8yds down a hallway. Any engagements in a room would be a maximum of 3-5yds. I really doubt I'd need to take a follow-up shot unless there is more than 1 intruder in the house. If I do, that's when the 00 buck comes in. After the first shot everyone in the house should have gotten down to the ground, so I'd be a little less concerned about over-penetration at that point.
Whatever floats your boat, but if someone is coming at me from 8yds he's getting a double tap of 00 buck center mass. At 8yds there simply isn't time to stop and reevaluate the threat and reengage if he's still coming at you. A Shotgun isn't a Phaser and in the 1 second that it takes an already moving man to cover 8yds he may not even realize that he's been shot before he reaches you, and in reality is probably going to be no more than 2 yards away by the time of the 2nd shot in the double tap. Remember that even a fatal wound isn't always an instant stopper and the attacker may still have time to inflict fatal damage to you before he loses consciousness. The key to 12ga double taps is having the right tool for the job and practicing double taps with it.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association