View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 3:09 PM

A couple o' three things to add:

1) booby traps. Chances are you will all have livestock whether it be very expensive cattle or horses or even chicken tractors. Your expensive, hard to replace animals will wander into those booby traps and your milk production, steer to fatten or breeding project will come to an abrupt end. Is it worth it?

Oh yes, wives who never listen to their husbands will also wander into things. Don't ask me how I know that.

2) "Dwindling"/harassment/retaking of indefensible terrain: If your homestead/doomstead/red x property was where you grew food and kept livestock, it may very well be worth retaking especially since things like good tilthy soil and mature fruit/nut trees cannot be put in a BOB and hauled off to the mountains. That soil and those trees represent an agriculture based future and most ground that is fertile and productive also happens to be flat and level and therefore not that defensible. It seems like it'd be worth it to expend a few .338 Lapua rounds from 1400 yards away to get it back. Perhaps if you have to bugout, you can plug the sewer so the raiders have to step outside to drop a deuce. Maybe you'll get a couple of them that way. Who knows.

3) when you bugout in a hurry, maybe you could leave some refreshments laced with liberal amounts of ricintoxin, Amanita or whatever other Assorted Nasties you can come up with. I think a nice hearty pasta with meatballs and deathcap mushrooms left on the stove seems worth trying.