View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 8:44 PM
Calguns Addict

My wife of 19 years came from a liberal anti-gun household but had an open mind (unlike here siblings to this day) and tolerated my need of them for sport, hunting, and self-defense. eventually she also was swayed by concerns of safety so that she felt she and our daughters needed to be trained as well. She'll never hunt or shoot clays with me, but she doesn't oppose me doing it either. In fact she's been asking when Spring Turkey starts this year. I'll consider myself lucky if she just follows through on learning to fly fish finally. So my take on this is find multiple things in common but only consider people with open minds and a spirit of reasonable tolerance. It takes more than firearms to make a good relationship, but firearms can certainly break a relationship up.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-- John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, The Art of the Rifle