View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 8:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
Another thing that hasn't been touched on here is the ability of a band of "marauders" being able to move about freely.

The most powerful military in the world has real issues driving around Afghanistan without running into IED's that have accounted for over 75% of all casualties in the country. I would bet that with the resources and ingenuity of the USA populace that things will get real ugly quick for the bad guys.

Wouldn't take much to disable and kill everyone in a unarmored bunch of trucks.

If a bunch of Taliban can cause all the problems they do now against the most sophisticated and armored military in the world think what will happen when a bunch of marauders come looking for trouble in a Toyota pickup. I wonder how far in the air you could blast a pickup in the air with 50 lbs of ammonia nitrate and diesel fuel. Think Oklahoma City.

Bands of roving thugs are going to be cumbersome to move about, feeding and keeping them in armed is going to be a logistical impossibility. They will stick out like a whore in church and be less welcome.

My point is that your attacking thugs are going to catch hell long before they even get close.

That being said, I can't imagine the carnage in major urban area's.
The trouble with this idea is that it assumes the bad guys will use vehicles for their assault.

The US Military uses vehicles because largely, we don't have a choice. You cannot resupply an organized expeditionary force thousands of miles from its home base without using wheeled vehicles to transport food, material, and ammo. Its logistically impossible to transport large amounts of ammo and food without using some kind of truck-and large trucks need roads.

A local SHTF situation doesn't fit that mold, because the bad guys will just walk out of the cities to plunder the rural parts.

With regard to SHTF, I think we need to quantify exactly what "SHTF" means. If we're talking about Mad Max style SHTF, a fixed defense is bad news because sooner or later, you'll run out of material or meet a team of attackers who know their business. If we're talking about soft-SHTF/ government retrenchment like we see in Afghanistan and to a lesser extent in Argentina, government might actually ally with the crooks and robbers. In that event, you might survive the attack of the marauders....only to end up in prison when the surviving scumbags call in favors from City Hall.

Remember, the bad guys have families and friends too. Kill enough of them , and eventually you'll end up on a crime lord's desk as a target to be removed at all costs. Look at what happened to Lance Thomas in LA: after shooting multiple robbers , the gangs in that city made it clear his shop was marked for a hit, which is why he took his business private into "appointment only". He didn't want an innocent customer catching lead on his account, and I don't blame Thomas for that decision.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.

Last edited by SilverTauron; 03-15-2013 at 8:39 PM..