View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
Based on previous posts I can see you feel strongly about this but really aren't contributing anything constructive in this thread. Perhaps you should post up your GHB and BoB pics/lists/weights and let's talk in a constructive manner about it.
I think Bruss explained a lot of it. I haven't complained about BOB or INCH bags, because who knows what you'll need. But with a GHB, mobility is a key aspect that people here do not seem to pay attention to. IMHO, I've noticed this tendency on prepper forums to have ever, more elaborate bags. It's like guys are comparing the size of their bags with each other and trying to outdo the last guy. I remember seeing one bag with both fresh and salt water fishing gear!

So, I've thought about when I would be caught away from home: I'd either be at work or shopping. If I'm at work, I'll be 20 miles away. If I'm shopping, I'll likely be 10 miles away or less. In either case, food is not necessary. Heaven forbid I arrive home hungry, but 7 hours without food won't kill me. Plus at my work there is plenty of food and if I'm out shopping there's likely a source of food nearby. I feel the same about water, but I do have some more reservations about that.

But as requested, here's the contents of mine:

First I have a pair of running shoes and socks. From where I work or shop to home, it's all asphalt.

In a plastic bag, I have my weather related items, which I can leave behind if it's sunny out.:

- poncho/rain jacket
- small umbrella
- headlamp

In a Condor Pocket Gear Pouch, like this:

I have:
- first aid items
- two glow sticks
- solar blanket
- Fenix flashlight with spare battery
- maps
- compass
- two dust masks
- small Swiss Army knife
- two hand warmers
- nitrile gloves
- pen
- handwipes

I've thought about adding the following because they are lightweight and sound useful, but haven't figured out when I would ever realistically use them:
- box of Strike Anywhere matches
- multi-tool

The Condor Pouch is about 2 pounds and is probably all I'd ever need. Plus, as you can see, there's very little in there that will be affected by heat or time, so i don't have to worry about leaving it in the car for years. Since it's so compact, I won't draw any undue attention to myself like walking around with a loaded hiking backpack through disaster areas. But most importantly, it allows me to be as mobile as possible which will let me get home faster.