View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 11:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OP,

There has been some great advice and some not so great advice and the first thing to do is stop and figure out what you're going to use it for. If you're just going to use it for hunting and plinking then in my opinion speed on target trumps fine accuracy and I'd go with a fixed focus scope like a Weaver RV4 4x28 rimfire (~$125), RV7 2.5-7x28 rimfire (~$140), Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 rimfire with BDC (~$150) or a Sightron S3 3-9x32 rimfire (~$120). Not all rimfire scopes are created equal and these are all good solid scopes with very good optics for rimfire scopes.

If the goal is target shooting then an adjustable objective is a must and the cheapest solution that I can recommend is a Mueller APC 4.5-14x40 w/AO (~$130). It's not in the same league and a Weaver V16 or V24 but it's $100 or more cheaper.

Not all scope are made equal and quality counts so buy the best quality scope that you can afford.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association