View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeon2whls View Post
I also ride motorcycles (another big red flag, even more so than guns I found) and when I would date someone and think things could get serious I made it VERY CLEAR that there were two things in my life I was not getting rid of, my guns and my motorcycles (unless I decided proactively to do so). If they couldn't accept that then I couldnt move forward with them. Its a bit harsh but once that's clear and you've communicated this, its a much smoother road (and easier conversation when IF they try to bring it back up later).

This is a smart move. At the end of the day, it's not like you didn't tell them ahead of time which way the wind was blowing on those issues. I've worked with the military and I have witnessed a similar issue with military wives. I've seen girls get married to servicemen and *then* the women bug out later about why he's never home, what he does is so unsafe, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT knocking military spouses. I've just [unfortunately] had to counsel many Sailors and Marines through these troubles (as a part of my professional employment) and it seems like some of the women just didn't understand what they were getting themselves into. They act surprised like, "Wait. What do you mean you have to go out to sea for 6 months?! Can't you just stay home?!" Uhm...no...he can't.

The same goes for gun ownership. If a significant other has a problem with it; it's best he or she know about the ground rules up front.

Of course, this doesn't apply if the significant other finds an interest in guns (or decides to join the military!) AFTER marriage. In that case, the spouse gets to weigh in on the issue.

BK