View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 5:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post
Is that how the big game hunters that go hunting in Africa do it?

I know it's the military but it could be somewhat similar to how hunters do it when they go on international hunting trips. I'm sure they must sign some papers before they leave the states and customs checks them out.

Who's the one giving service members trouble? is it customs or the military branches themselves? Who's rule is it?
Taking a hunting gun out of the country and bringing it back is done on a Customs Form 4457.

http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_4457.pdf

You fill it out and bring the form and the gun to a US Customs office (most big airports have one)and get them to sign and authorize it.

The Military used to send service members to the US Custom's inspector course to clear military units themselves when they return to CONUS. I was a Military Custom's Inspector for two diifferent submarines back in the 1980's. They do the searches and certify that everything brought back into the country is legal, collect duty on excess purchases made overseas, sieze contraband, etc.

I don't know if they still do it that way but that's what we did in the 70's and 80's.