View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 2:59 PM

Mr. iareConfusE, thanks for an informative post!

If it's not too cheeky, I'll reply to a post I happened to notice unanswered, using a portion of your 2nd post here and add a detail or two.

Quote:
mc21

Only thing I saw that I "think" is wrong is what is needed to buy a new handgun. You stated CA driver's license or government issued ID. I was told and from what I read, you need to have a CA issued ID. This only includes CA driver's license or CA issued identification card.

I have an out of state drivers license and my passport and they would not accept either of these. I had to go to the DMV to get a CA issued ID card to purchase my handgun. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I am lead to believe that this is correct.
Quote:
iareConfusE - from Post #2

Documentation Required to Purchase A Handgun in California
You will need to be at least 21 years old. You will need a valid CA driver’s license or government issued ID. You will need a handgun safety certificate, which requires a very simple test of firearms knowledge and safety practices. If you fail this test, you do not deserve to own a firearm. You will need proof of residence such as your vehicle registration, with your current address listed.

What this means is that in order to pick up your new handgun from an FFL (dealer), you not only need an "official" CA Driver License or CA Identification Card, but you will need another, "proof of residence": Vehicle registration, utility bill, etc... but be aware that for some reason, financial statements do not qualify.

Last edited by 200Apples; 02-04-2013 at 3:01 PM..