View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 7:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstatearmory.com View Post
I appreciate the advise. When you guys are setting up your powder drop, how many test samples do you take? In the past I have always done about 3, but after finding these in-accuracies I'm planning on doing 20, writing them all down and then taking an average.
When I set my charge, I cycle the drop at least 5 times before weighing. It takes a few cycles before it settles down. I have one of those Uniqutek Micrometer adjustors, so I can go right to a number on the dial and start cycling.

After 5-6 drops, I weigh it. For any of my pistol powders that meter decently (Unique being the exception), the weight will always be within .1gr of my target, unless something is wrong on the drop.

I then check it one more drop to be sure and then once at the end of a batch. I have never had it not be right at the last check, tens of thousands of rounds loaded that way.

Another thing to check is your scale. If you have check weighs, try them repeatedly to assure the scale is accurate and repeatable.

Also check out Brian Enos forums for good advice on Dillon equipment.

Good luck on getting the sorted out.

PS - .5gr is too much variation on the drop for Bullseye, you need to get it sorted out, not just average it, or at least if you do decide to just average it, stay away from max loads.

Last edited by Bill Steele; 02-02-2013 at 7:49 AM..