View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 9:34 PM

From out here in HI:

Quote:
Dear Mr. KarLorian,

Thank you for contacting me and sharing your thoughts about guns and gun violence. I appreciate your taking the time to get in touch.

The debate over preventing tragic and unnecessary deaths while maintaining our constitutionally guaranteed Second Amendment rights should not be an ideological one. This is a pragmatic and urgent issue that we all must be concerned with, so we can prevent terrible tragedies, like the one that occurred at Sandy Hook, from ever happening again.

As a Soldier and Military Police Officer, I have received extensive training and have significant experience in handling a variety of firearms. Having firsthand knowledge of the impact of these weapons, and the devastation they can cause, I do not see any role for military-style assault weapons on our streets and in our communities. This is why I support reinstating the assault weapons ban, and a ban on high-capacity clips holding more than 10 rounds. These provisions replicate the protections that we have already in place in Hawai`i, and which have played a role in our state having the lowest firearm-related homicide rate in the country.

There are other policy changes that should occur- this includes increasing school security, shoring up our mental healthcare system, closing the gun show loophole, and requiring background checks on all persons wanting to purchase a gun. These are practical steps that both the public and gun owners have recognized as necessary to keep firearms out of the hands of those who should not own or use one.

I support the Second Amendment and our constitutional right to bear arms. In Hawai`i, we have a rich tradition of hunting, and some of our families rely on it not only for food, but for their livelihood. These responsible gun owners will not be affected by this change in federal policy, and will be able to continue their activities unaffected.

My concern is that we need to do more; we cannot just pass legislation and assume that it will solve the problem. The problems are much deeper. We have to take a holistic approach to protecting our communities. To begin with, we have to focus on resourcing and enforcing the existing laws that we have in place already. We have to come together and find creative ways to get illegal guns off the street. We have to empower the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to do its job. The agency has had five acting directors since 2006 and is in need of a permanent director and stable leadership.

Everyone wants to reduce gun violence, stop mass shooting tragedies, and prevent the 30 homicides from guns that occur every single day in America. I look forward to continuing the conversation with you as we work together to prevent more senseless death.

Sincerely,

TULSI GABBARD
Member of Congress
Canned Response and I scratched my head at:

Quote:
This is why I support reinstating the assault weapons ban, and a ban on high-capacity clips holding more than 10 rounds. These provisions replicate the protections that we have already in place in Hawai`i, and which have played a role in our state having the lowest firearm-related homicide rate in the country.
We don't have an AWB here and our 10 round limit is for pistols only.