View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 9:02 PM
keoni_taylor's Avatar
keoni_taylor keoni_taylor is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 506
iTrader: 55 / 100%

Originally Posted by drip52c View Post
i had to get a dmv printout with all my prior address for a couple bucks before i coulda bail out my gun from insight shooting range.
Remind me to never buy a firearm there.

Valid CA ID should have been fine for a Long Gun.

Valid CA ID and proof of residency is all you need for a handgun.

DMV Print out is out of line

Identification is to verify age only; the printed address on the license does not need to be current when buying a rifle or pistol; as long as you notified the DMV of your address change your fine. When you buy a handgun you need to show proof of residency (Vehicle Registration, Utility Bill, Lease Agreement ECT ECT ECT)

Some dealers ask for a bunch of things they don't need because they figure better safe than sorry (or maybe they dont know). You can always not give them what they ask for, and they can not sell you the weapon

Here is some inf from the DOJ:

All firearms purchases and transfers, including private party transactions and sales at gun shows, must be made through a licensed dealer under the Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) process. California imposes a 10-day waiting period before a firearm can be released to a buyer or transferee. A person must be at least 18 years of age to purchase a rifle or shotgun. To buy a handgun, a person must be at least 21 years of age, and either 1) possess an HSC plus successfully complete a safety demonstration with the handgun being purchased or 2) qualify for an HSC exemption.

As part of the DROS process, the buyer must present "clear evidence of identity and age" which is defined as a valid, non-expired California Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles. A military identification accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California is also acceptable.

If the buyer is not a U.S. Citizen, then he or she is required to demonstrate that he or she is legally within the United States by providing to the firearms dealer with documentation that contains his/her Alien Registration Number or I-94 Number.

Purchasers of handguns are also required to provide proof of California residency, such as a utility bill, residential lease, property deed, or government-issued identification (other than a drivers license or other DMV-issued identification).

(PC Section 12071)
Reply With Quote