View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
I have been considering becoming an LE in San Diego for quite some time as I am finishing up my bachelors in management and one of the great advantages is the pension that officers receiveD PREVIOUSLY. How are things going to play out and how secure is the pension system? I know i am not going into Law Enforcement for the money because i know i could make a lot more money elsewhere but i truly believe i would get more enjoyment out of the LE line of work.
3% @ 50 is long gone, if you're not vested in PERS as of Dec 31, 2012. Only two things are certain in life; Death and Taxes. No one knows the stability of PERS, but most seem to think they're going to do just fine...

Where else could you work 3 days a week (theoretically speaking) making $100K+ a year? I've yet to find a place

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
You might want to reconsider San Diego City since they changed their pension system I believe as a result of the local election. Both they and the SO have been known for decades for being 2 of the lowest paid depts. around.

I know you said you weren't going into it for the money and rest assured, none of us ever did, but you should check out their new pension rules and check out some salaries and pensions of other depts.
Like Retired stated, SDPD is not CalPERS, they are apart of the "37 Act"... None of us ever started on this path chasing paper, but I', sure there are plenty that wish they did... GO WHERE THE MONEY is AT! But in all seriousness consider what you might want to accomplish short/long term. If a special assignment is something you'd like to do in 2-3 years after training/probation a bigger agency might suit you... the flip side to that is bigger agency usually means more competition.

A nice median is a Smedium size dept with 80-120 Sworn - like Irvine, doesn't hurt they are typically one of the HIGHER paid in CA