View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 5:40 PM

From my Rep. Adam Schiff,

Dear Carlos:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut and your support for the Second Amendment. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome your input.

I share your interest in preserving the Second Amendment right to bear arms. I often went hunting with my father when I was young and our family had been responsible gun owners for many years. I continue to enjoy shooting clays and target practice, although I seldom have the time to go to a range anymore. My father taught me to use firearms safely and to have respect for them and the risks that they pose, much like he taught me to swim and respect the power of the ocean.

I do not feel that the Second Amendment precludes us from instituting a system of universal background checks, and most gun owners (and non-gun owners) support the institution of such a requirement. I also feel that assault weapons and high capacity magazines should be reserved for members of our armed services who need them in combat, and realize that our views differ on this matter. Plainly though, we can agree that we must do more to ensure that those who suffer from mental illness get the treatment they need, and do not get access to guns. In far too many of the recent shootings that have plagued our nation, we learn that the perpetrators suffered from some type of mental illness. Currently, mental health records are included in the background check system at the discretion of the states. In many states, those records are rarely if ever updated and there is no requirement to report them. California has strong laws requiring mental health records to be included in the background check database, but many other states, have no similar requirement. I believe Congress should explore this issue immediately.

Let's work together to bring an end to these terrible mass shootings, and at the same time, protect the rights of lawful gun owners to participate in hunting and sport activities and defend their family and homes. It is the fundamental right of every individual to protect themselves and their loved ones. As we work to protect the nation from the proliferation of these mass shootings and everyday gun violence by criminals, please be assured that I will keep your views in mind.

An on-going job of a Representative in Congress is to help constituents solve problems with federal agencies, access services, and get their questions answered promptly. On my website, I offer a detailed guide to the services my office can provide to you as a constituent. I also encourage you to subscribe to the Washington Update, my email newsletter which contains information on local events, my work in Washington, and even lets you weigh in on important issues through online polls. Visit me online at http://schiff.house.gov to subscribe. Please know that you can always reach me at (818) 450-2900 or (323) 315-5555 or via my website if I can ever be of additional assistance.

Again, thank you for your input. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
Adam B. Schiff
Member of Congress