View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 3:03 PM
ke6guj's Avatar
ke6guj ke6guj is offline
CGN Contributor
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 909
Posts: 23,786
iTrader: 42 / 100%

Originally Posted by cburn View Post
She moved to Nevada in October and she said she has only changed her bills and her address threw USPS. Her cars / DMV/drivers license , bank is still for California.

Also, I talked to the DOJ. And they said it was perfectly legal to cross state lines with a family members firearm. Even if it is not in my name yet. He also said I just need to fill out the form and make sure I put down my hand gun safety permit number on the form. He also said it will take around 6-8 weeks for paperwork to be complete and that I don't have to wait. I can go pick it up.

Now I'm confused.
you talked to CADOJ, not federal DOJ.

CADOJ only concerns itself with CA law, not federal law. CADOJ told you correctly that it was not a violation of CA law for you to cross state lines with your mother's firearm that you want to do an intrafamily transfer to yourself. FIll out the CADOJ form with $19 and CA is happy. Their advice, even though it is CA-legal, is not federally legal when the transferor is a resident of another state. You'd need to check with NV and the feds to see if your mother is still a CA resident or is not an NV resident. Just because your ID is from your old state doesn't necessarily make you still a resident of that old state.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Reply With Quote