View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
You're using the g.i. type take down method. It doesn't work well with really tight fit barrel bushings nor is it desireable due to wiping the bushing against the barrel at its fitted point. The inside of the barrel bushing is parallel to the barrel. The outside of the bushing is parallel to the slide. The angle are not the same.

Once a person gets used to the method in the video theres no reason to go back to the g.i. way.
I was excited to use the method in the video, but it will not work on the Dan Wesson PointMan 7 (PM7). In the video, the recoil spring plug is withdrawn from inside the slide. On the PM7, the plug rests on a shoulder in the slide...it must be withdrawn from the front. No biggie I thought, I will still use the video but install the plug from the front and hold it in place with the barrel bushing. And then I will install the spring/guide rod assembly from the inside of the slide as shown in the video, this assembly sliding into the recoil plug already installed. Not possible.

The recoil spring/guide rod are long enough that the angle formed by trying to insert as shown in the video causes the assembly to hit the front part of the slide and the barrel link area. The problem is rod itself. It is MUCH longer than the rod shown in the video. It is 3.775" long, tip to tip, or the length of about 19 - 20 recoil spring coils. In the video, their short guide rod covers about 7 coils. I can't even fit it in the slide using the method in the video, without the spring. The guide rod goes in fine, IF the recoil spring plug is not there.

No wonder the instructions from Dan Wesson are to use the wrench to remove parts from the outside. This is so much of a fight, it is damn near a deal killer for me. It should not be anywhere near this hard to take apart a gun and clean.

Phil