View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prenub View Post
Does it matter who manufactures the gold or silver bars? I want to buy some and want to get it from a reputable manufacturer.
For coins backed by a government, you're probably looking at Eagles, Maples, Libertads, Philharmonics, Kookaburras, etc.

For bullion bars and rounds I'd stick to the larger, well known mints out there.

Examples are: Engelhard, Sunshine, Johnson Matthey, Silvertowne, PAMP, Heraeus, etc.

Poured bars are nice, but I usually stick to ones stamped from a known mint as as well.

In the end it's all metal bullion value, but different mints will have a premium, ie. Swiss Pamp silver or gold with the Assay cards will command a high premium vs say some silvertowne bars.

That's not really a bad thing, you can usually recover the premium when selling to other collectors and some dealers.

I used to buy from APMEX, and Gainsville Coins and theres a few coin/bullion stores in the LA area that will give better prices than the internet sites depending on your relationship with the place [ie. if you been buying there for a while, etc]