View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 8:31 PM

Talking Self Sponsored P.O.S.T.

Hello all,

I have a few questions about going into P.O.S.T. and being self sponsored.

1. I'm torn between 2 schools at the moment. And was wondering if anyone has any experience as a self sponsored cadet at these schools. I would also like to know Which departments sends there officers here.

The schools are:

San Bernardino County Sheriffs Regional Training Center which is through San Bernardino Valley college.

and

Ben Clark Public Safety Training Center which is through the Riverside Community College District.

So far I like everything Ben Clark Public Safety Training Center has to offer but I don't like the idea of having to provide my own gear. Well I do, just can't seem to afford it. FAFSA is only giving me about 2k for the program. So I pretty much have to cover the rest. And I'm going to be going in full time if that matters. I like the idea that I can buy a handgun now and be proficient/comfortable with it throughout at my career starting from the academy. But most stores around my area seem to have a restock waiting period of about 3 to 4 month thanks to the whole scare ban situation.

Which brings me to my next question.

2. Do most departments allow officers to carry non-department issued firearms? Or Will I be forced to be comfortable/proficient with the ones the department issues me. I don't know if it matters but I don't like the idea of training with a firearm for so long only to have to switch to another one. I'm still new to guns and have received only enough training to become a qualified armed security guard.

My current age is 24 going on 25 in June. Not sure if age matters.

My last question is how successful will you be on getting hired by a department with a P.O.S.T certificate at this current time? I know a few departments are hiring like Pomona and Riverside. I failed both P.O.S.T. written exams and have a waiting period of about 3 to 6 months to take the next ones. I figured during this time I would just sponsor my self to keep ahead of everyone else. Seeing as the next classes will start in a month or so.

Thanks.
-C.T