View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
Great info. I'm pretty excited about the classes. I'll be looking at all these links tonight when I get home from work.

Hey Chief one question, you said 'Once you attain your CERT 2...'. What is CERT 2?
Is that something you get when you complete the courses like the ones I signed up for?
Sorry if that's a dumb question, I googled 'CERT 2' with no luck at finding out what that is.
There are two levels of CERT and a third one in some areas.

In my area there are many courses of CERT that are taught in high schools or churches that only go over the material and lectures with no practical training...i.e. you don't go outside and practice. Once you complete the class you are a CERT 1.

A CERT 2 goes through the classes and practical training as well as an extensive training exercise at the end of the course.

CERT 3 is new program that some of the regions are trying to develop where the trained and respected members can maintain their Incident Commander, among other roles, status even when the professional first responders show up. This is because you have been specially trained and authorized by the local governing body as an expert. It requires approval from both the Fire and Police houses as in many of these roles you will be commanding fire fighters and police officers during a crisis. While many of the Fire house leaders are on board with this as they are familiar with the training program, Police leadership is not. It continues to be a work in progress.

For now the CERT 3 folks are usually the senior CERTs in a given district and primarily provide leadership and support training efforts. These are very dedicated individuals and give massive amounts of their time to the betterment of the CERT program in their county/region.