View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 6:46 PM
Smite Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
Yeah, you've seen it posted elsewhere with similar photos because it DOES HAPPEN and when it does, people post photos of the damage. The photos look similar because they're of the same damage on the same type of gun. Your conspiracy theory is ridiculous.

As to the meat of what you said, it is NOT physically impossible. Not only because you are literally looking at physical evidence of it happening, but because the two things you are comparing are completely and totally different, but pretty much in the opposite way you are assuming in your comments.

Striker: When the striker is cocked, it is separated from the back of the breech face. The gun is in battery and the slide is fixed and cannot go farther forward. Now the striker is released, and is slams into the back of the fixed breech face. These impacts can cause cracks, peening, work hardening, etc over time. The firing pin is likely hardened tool steel, and the slide is not. If the heat treat process was not done properly on this specific slide, it could be more brittle than it should be.

Ammo: When a round is fired, the soft brass case is in contact with the breech face already. There is no impact, because they are already in contact. Also different, the slide moves backwards. Yes, the case pushes backwards just as hard as the bullet is pushed forwards. However, it's a push, not an impact, and because the slide moves backwards from that push it makes it even more gentle on the breech face.

Can you tell me how thick the breech face is on a Glock? At what thickness (thinness) would you say the firing pin would crack it every time? Obviously, there IS a thickness where it would not be capable of withstanding that impact. Nobody would argue otherwise. So... what makes you so sure that the breech face of a Glock is of such thickness and strength, and not brittle enough, that it is physically impossible for this to happen despite seeing a photo that clearly demonstrates that it happened?
Amen. I couldn't say it any better.

And why only Glock?

Sent from iPhone through Tapatalk