View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 8:17 PM

The book I recommend to friends, family and online is the "Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family, 3rd Edition" written by Arthur Bradley. (I have no personal or professional association in any way with the book, publisher, author, etc.)

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Pract.../dp/1475136536

Its $24.95 and covers a bunch of topics. Its a good starting place for a newbie. Once you have read it, you can start researching specific topics of interest. What I really like about it is that it is event neutral and has no underlying messages on politics, religion or philosophy that are so prominent in similar books of this type.

I have played with the idea of writing one of these guides for awhile so purchased a couple at first, then a couple more, and so on until I find I have a small library consisting of 30-40 books on the topic. I don't feel I can do better than this book short of writing a five to six tome series on the topic so I put the dream to bed.

What I have found, is there is no "ONE" book as this is an endless topic. How do you prepare to survive and unknown event with an unknown effect for an indeterminate period of time?

Very few humans in recorded history have been able to survive alone...it takes a village (to borrow a phrase).

I feel a ramble coming along so I will cut it off here.

I have not read the book you referenced nor a couple other similar ones that use the same smarmy sales tactics, where you can only purchase from their site and it isn't widely reviewed. If it isn't on Amazon or reviewed on regular sites, I leave it alone.

In writing this response, I went to the author's website. He has the book on sale for $19.95 with free S&H. Looks like he has two more books out; "Prepper's Instruction Manual: 50 steps" and "Preparing for EMP Attacks and Solar Storms, Expanded Edition"
http://disasterpreparer.com/

Given how much I liked the first one, I am going to purchase the other two.

Any ways, hope this all helps! Good luck in your preps and planning.

The biggest piece of advice I can pass on...keep your significant other in the loop with your thoughts, plans, and fears.