View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

For me, I store food, water, and emergency supplies (including my guns) for preparation against disasters and any number of possible economic disasters: hyperinflation, shortages, devaluation of the dollar, etc.

I consider my best protection the fact that I already live in my bug out location. Moved to a small rural farm last year several miles away from any major roads, and we are on our way to self-sufficiency - growing food, two year-round creeks and a well, a year's worth of dehydrated food. We are saving up to put in off-grid solar electrical. My worry in a crisis will be protecting my stuff from all the people bugging out from urban centers.

If it actually comes down to confiscation, I think most of us have no idea what we will do. It will all depend on the circumstances. I know a lot of people who say "out of my cold, dead hands" will be singing a different tune if it actually happened. I can say if I were in a Katrina-esque type situation, I'd probably hand them over and then hope they would be returned at some point, or at least be compensated for them.
“When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny.” - Thomas Jefferson

"We are number one, all others are number two or lower." - The Sphinx

"Why does every discussion of culture always degrade into a discussion of burritos?" - GoZoner