View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
Boy if that ain't the truth.

You can buy all the hip new whizz bang stuff. I've been a machinist tool and die maker for quite some time and in a industry that relies on proper lube we don't get many new fangled products to try as this industry is brutally honest and has a very educated bunch of people doing the work. Trying to pass of some relabeled BS ain't gonna fly.

The biggest thing to come along in the oil industry in general is synthetics.
The biggest thing to come along in the Gun oil industry is the flavor of the week.
When everyone figures out that plain old dino juice is fine and synthetic dino juice is better you can buy that stuff by the gallon for what 8 oz. of some whizz bang gun oil goes for.

From a purely scientific stand point you want three to four properties in your gun oil.
1. Lubrication. all oil does that to varying degrees
2. Anti Oxidants, Rust inhibitors.
3. Resistance to temperature change
4. Water resistance if needed.

That's it. You don't need some covalent bond to the steel or Ionic polarization.
That last one is funny as there was a lube years ago sold as being a polarized lube. ALL petroleum oils are polarized thats one of the reasons they can get as much energy out of oil as they can. But that's another thread.

So back to the original four properties we require for gun oils. Think about it, what oil has great lubrication properties has anti oxidant properties, Resists changes in properties due to temperature changes. Good old Hydraulic oil.
Now Compressor, Turbine oil, and a good grade of Hydraulic oil will all fit the bill perfectly and you can buy a gallon of it for $10 or less. and up to $30 for the High end turbine or compressor oils. So for $30 a gallon your 4 oz bottle of whizz bang gun oil that's 5$ to $7 a bottle would cost you a whopping $.93 a bottle or $7.50 a quart.

Yeah Know what 3 in one oil is made from?? Hydraulic oil with added corrosion inhibitors and some scented oil to make it smell unique Thats it.

Now if you must have the best in water resistance or cold temp operation then you need to look at a synthetic. But this stuff is not as complicated as they try to make it out to be.
I discovered that a few drops of the same synthetic Amsoil 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil I have been using in my truck works wonders on reloading press rams and other stuff that needs a drop of oil. So I loaded a 35cc syringe with an ounce of it and stuffed it in my shooting box. I have yet to wear out a fill of the stuff in the truck, with each oil analysis coming back from the lab stating it was still good to go, so it ought to work on a low mileage rifle.

The other thing I found out is that a tube of good old white lithium grease is still the premium stuff for most applications. Couple of bucks at the store and even OSH carries it.