View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 11:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Originally Posted by navycorpsman View Post
they have been fighting for gun rights for 100 years
I am an NRA member since 1976, a contributor and support them whole heatedly but let's not engage in any historical revisionism.

The NRA has been fighting for gun rights for around 35 years if I counted correctly. The NRA helped write the National Firearms Act of 1934 (and to give them credit they kept handguns from becoming NFA weapons as was originally envisioned). The NRA also helped write the Gun Control Act of 1968. There was always a part of the NRA that is kind of like the elite RINO's of the Republican Party. The "I'm a gunowner because I own a shotgun and I support gun control" pap that we hear today from the likes of Andrew Cuomo and that contemptible Mike Thompson. It makes me want to support a ban on shotguns and/or duck hunting just to shut them up. Anyway, I digress.

In the mid-70's there were discussions at the highest levels of the NRA about moving out of DC (to CO as I recall) and becoming primarily a promoter of gun safety and an organizer of marksmanship competitions. "Saturday Night Specials" were the equivalent of "assault rifles" today and the "Old Guard" elites tried to get the NRA to support the ban on them proposed by Birch Bayh (D - Indiana).

The NRA as we know it today was pretty much created by Harlan Carter who was disgusted by the appeasers who ran the NRA at the time and helped instigate what came to be known as the Cincinnati Revolt that saved the NRA from being run by duck hunters and target shooters and helped it become the Second Amendment defender it is today. In fact, pick up an pre-1977 copy of the NRA Fact Book on Firearms Control and see what they thought of the Second Amendment at the time; it wasn't good. The proof is left as an exercise for the reader.