View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 3:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by strlen View Post
For them, the principled rights rhetoric doesn't mean much: I even know many who fall into that fold who themselves enjoy owning and shooting weapons, but just don't think ordinary civilians should own them. I am at a loss as to why that faction is rising in mindshare and how to best counter their arguments that seem to disregards rights, period.
The best way to counter their arguments is to make it plain that if they can take away the liberties of others against those others' will, those others can do the same to them. The intersection of the liberties that everyone believes everyone else should have is the null set -- nothing at all. For every single liberty that exists, you can find someone who believes you shouldn't have it.

It needs to be made crystal clear to people that liberty is a two-way street, that what goes around comes around, and that they take away the liberties of others at their own peril.

Finally, protection of liberty is precisely what this country was founded for:

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. Declaration of Independence
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed

Ask these people you speak of if they are truly interested in parting ways with the very foundational purpose of the country.
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Your oath to uphold the Constitution is a joke unless you refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

The real world laughs at optimism. And here's why.

I hope I end up having to donate another $1000 to CGF... However, this $500 is one I hope to not have to donate...