View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 12:41 PM

Sent to my representative (with the expectation of it doing absolutely no good):

It has come to my attention that when recently asked "Do you support re-enacting the Federal assault weapons ban that was in effect from 1994 to 2004?", you and several other CA Representatives answered "Yes".

Why do you think reinstating a law that had a 10-year trial with little to no measurable effect seems like a good idea now? The time and effort associated with such an action will be yet another waste of taxpayers money at a time when your focus as my Representative should be on reducing spending.

Furthermore your support for this action or others that seek to produce similar restrictions are an effort to infringe upon of my Second Amendment rights.

For your easy reference, please see http://www.sas.upenn.edu/jerrylee/re..._final2004.pdf, "An Updated Assessment of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban: Impacts on Gun Markets and Gun Violence, 1994-2003", particularly Section 10.2 entitled "Potential Consequences of Reauthorizing, Modifying, or Lifting the Assault Weapons Ban". It includes the following statement: "Should it be renewed, the ban might reduce gunshot victimizations. This effect is likely to be small at best and possibly too small for reliable measurement."

I look forward to your reply. I hope that it will be received in timely manner and contain a meaningful, reasoned explanation of your position on this matter of importance.

Respectfully,

Last edited by bluzman; 01-05-2013 at 12:45 PM..