View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Default Response letter from Congressman Ken Calvert

Thank you for contacting me regarding the issue of gun control. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

On December 14, 2012, Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown came under siege from a lone gunman; 26 people, most of them children, tragically were killed. As a nation, we struggle to comprehend the magnitude of the loss, and the existence of so great an evil. In the aftermath of the shooting, gun control proponents have urged the President and Congress to act to restrict assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy (NY-4) is leading the effort in the House and has introduced legislation to ban the sale or transfer of magazines holding more than 10 rounds. After introduction on January 3, 2012, the High Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act (H.R. 1378) was referred to the House Judiciary Committee for further action.

I believe that as we engage in a national debate about how to better protect our children, we must not make the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens an easy target. This essential right must be protected to guarantee our safety and our freedom. Sadly there are often no easy answers in stopping the depraved actions of a lone gunman. The National Rifle Association has put forward their own plan to protect students, focusing on armed security, access controls, student and teacher training, and information technology. As discussions continue, rest assured I will keep your views in mind and certainly appreciate your input.

As your Representative in Congress, please be assured that I will continue to be a strong advocate of legislation that preserves our rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment. Once again, thank you for your correspondence. I hope you will continue to contact me regarding issues of importance to you and your family. In the meantime, I encourage you to visit my website at and sign up for my weekly e-newsletters. For urgent updates on critical issues, follow me on Twitter (@KenCalvert) and check out my Facebook page (Congressman Ken Calvert).

Member of Congress
Don't under estimate the power of a letter.

Email, mail a letter, expressing a formal sincere concern about your 2nd amendment rights to your local representative, senator, congressman, mayor, etc...

The voice of one will become the voice of many. Public pressure will force legislation.