View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellyzsweet View Post
(1.) While there is no merit as you say to compare them to, other then comparing military to military, our first responders are the closest thing we have in our society to compare to. Show me another line of work that uses military ranks, uniforms, strict guidelines, significant training time, and all while getting paid crap, rarely thanked, and go long periods with little to no sleep, walking into lord only knows, and being told to fix it with what you have, adapt, overcome, and complete the mission. (and absolutely loving every e**in minute of it but always finding something to b**ch about). I agree its NOT the same, but its the closest thing we have.

(3.) Tell that to all the women who have ever deployed to a war zone. You go ahead and tell them that they can't hack it.

(4.) No, we ARE talking about the small minority of women who can hack it. That (I believe) is the OP's point. No one said anything about lowering any standards. I believe the point the OP is trying to make is in her opinion if we can make the standards, we should be allowed to do it.

(2.) Lastly, sounds like you were a military person, you touched on how people can be tough at times, especially in extreme scenerios. Your also an EMT. When you started out in the military, and when you started as an EMT you didn't waltz right into it and were instantly tough. You learn to toughen yourself build that hard psychological armor up so that you could deal with the harsh realities of your duty. Its not something that just men can do. Women can do it too. Anyone can.
I work for a fire dept and sadly many woman in the fire dept and police department are there to help image. I have many cases where some woman couldnt pull there weight and it affected us all. Now also there are some men that cause the same. And in regards to female officers. Many i have encountered have power trips and I always think of the one time in back of my rescue we had a violent murderer hancuffed. At the stop light he started to fight and the female officer ran out the back door and left me alone to subdue the man ALONE. WHICH was not my job. Again there are woman that perform jobs as good as men, but the majority is NO.

Again this is from my own eyes.
HM3 John D. House, HN Aaron A. Kent, HM2 Cesar O. Baez, HM3 Travis Youngblood, HM3 Christopher W. Thompson, HM2 Allan M. Cundanga Espiritu (True Heros)