View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 12:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Contact his Probation Officer

I am a Parole Agent, and I can tell you a couple of things. As a Parole Agent I would appraise the situation of where the guns are stored, and whether or not IMO the parolee would have access to them. If I thought so, I could tell the parolee that he couldn't live there with you, or even visit you at that location, but I could never tell you to get rid of your guns. That is not within my authority.

If I thought it would be a non issue, and that the parolee would never have access to the weapons, then I would take the situation to my supervisor and get his approval to allow the parolee to live with you.

Parole/Probation Compliance checks are important also. If the parolee is suspected of something illegal, or for random checks, we may conduct a Parole Compliance search. As Parole Agents we would not search the entire house if the parolee does not have access to the entire house. Let's say you keep your bedroom locked, we would not search your room. Just common areas such as the kitchen, living room, den, bathroom, garage, or any room that anyone can walk into and have access to the contents. Rooms/areas that are locked and not available to the parolee would be exempt from the searches.

However ANY LEO can conduct Parole/Probation Compliance checks, not just Parole Agents or Probation Officers. When the Police or Sheriff Department Personnel conduct these checks they go by different policies according to their prospective department directives. Most will search and demand entry into the entire house whether or not the parolee has access or not. Just thought I would let you know that.

Carl
Redding CA. Shasta County, NorCal