Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns LEOs (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Can a LEO sell a Ruger LCP 380 to non LEO (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=895432)

Lopaka707 02-17-2014 11:17 PM

Can a LEO sell a Ruger LCP 380 to non LEO
 
Can a LEO sell a Ruger LCP 380 to his brother who is not a LEO.

The Ruger LCP 380 is not legal to non LEOs in CA.

I heard a rumor that a LEO can sell it to a non LEO. Do any LEOs or anyone know if this is true?

Thanks

JESSCLOKES 02-17-2014 11:20 PM

Yes its legal only through a ppt, no shipping

Librarian 02-17-2014 11:52 PM

LEOs may ppt guns to other CA residents just as non-LEO may.

There was a bill proposed in 2013 that would have changed that, but it did not become law.

Lopaka707 02-18-2014 9:17 AM

Thanks for the info. Do you know where in the Law it says that they can do this?

zeddy 02-18-2014 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JESSCLOKES (Post 13465677)
Yes its legal only through a ppt, no shipping

+1 ^^ He can't buy that off the shelve but can buy through PPT.

To me, that's just so stupid. Sure LEOs can but off list handguns from the shelve as non LEOs can't. But, Non LEOs can buy off list handguns through PPT. That off list /unsafe handgun law is just so stupid.

Sorry to thread jack.....

My buddy's dream gun is the Walther PPK. The guy obviously couldn't get one. I ended up selling mine to him through PPT.

ap3572001 02-18-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeddy (Post 13467992)
+1 ^^ He can't buy that off the shelve but can buy through PPT.

To me, that's just so stupid. Sure LEOs can but off list handguns from the shelve as non LEOs can't. But, Non LEOs can buy off list handguns through PPT. That off list /unsafe handgun law is just so stupid.

Sorry to thread jack.....

My buddy's dream gun is the Walther PPK. The guy obviously couldn't get one. I ended up selling mine to him through PPT.

I agree:

We are issued unsafe handguns.
We can buy unsafe handguns and carry them on and off duty.
Anyone can buy an unsafe handgun via PPT
Anyone can sell an unsafe handgun via PPT.
As an LEO I can buy unsafe handgun using my exemption or NOT using it. ( Simply buy a consignment hnadgun at the store or form a private seller.)

This is a bunch of BS that makes no sense , does not help with crime,etc.
How much longer will we have to deal with it???????

Librarian 02-18-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lopaka707 (Post 13467665)
Thanks for the info. Do you know where in the Law it says that they can do this?

It's the same law that allows PPT for all CA residents. There's no need for anything special in PC to include LEOs as CA residents.

Tacobandit 02-18-2014 12:28 PM

As long as its not a straw purchase...i.e. the leo is buying it specifically to sell it to a non leo. Sac PD guys got in trouble for this

trendar5 02-18-2014 1:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacobandit (Post 13468872)
As long as its not a straw purchase...i.e. the leo is buying it specifically to sell it to a non leo. Sac PD guys got in trouble for this

Two Sac deputies got federally in trouble, the Sac PD guy became a witness.

HappyCamper781 02-18-2014 2:21 PM

What were they cited for?

It's not against the law for LEO's to sell personal off-roster firearms through PPT to non LEO buyers.

It IS illegal to straw purchase, but that means buying something for someone else.
It is ALSO illegal to sell more than a set # of pistol transactions in a year, exceeding that would mean you just became an unlicensed dealer.

Librarian 02-18-2014 2:23 PM

IIRC, dealing without a license.

Artema 02-18-2014 2:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lopaka707 (Post 13467665)
Thanks for the info. Do you know where in the Law it says that they can do this?

Laws do not say you can do things, they say you cannot do things.

<IXOYE>< 02-18-2014 2:38 PM

I actually sold mine to a member here. No biggy. Same paperwork.

HappyCamper781 02-18-2014 2:52 PM

So yeah, keep it under the transaction limit, and you won't fall afoul of the laws.

FYI: The limit for pistol transactions in California is 5. You can have 5 sales transactions per year and not be considered a "dealer". Each individual transaction can be any # of pistols.

Also: This law is not prosecuted very often, it's generally only used on folks who are obviously breaking the rules in a blatant manner. If you do happen to sell that 6th pistol transaction in a calendar year, it's unlikely anything will happen - but woe be upon you if you are selling multiple transactions / month and a pattern can be established that you are acting as an unlicensed dealer.

BigDan 12-16-2014 7:06 PM

Will non LEO's still be able to do PPT with off roster pistols from LEO's after the first of the year?

Thanks

jdubs71 12-16-2014 8:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacobandit (Post 13468872)
As long as its not a straw purchase...i.e. the leo is buying it specifically to sell it to a non leo. Sac PD guys got in trouble for this

Its unfortunate, but this was popular before sse became popular. I remember seeing a ruger LCP for upwards of $1000.

Librarian 12-16-2014 9:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDan (Post 15458341)
Will non LEO's still be able to do PPT with off roster pistols from LEO's after the first of the year?

Thanks

Yes.

SoCalDep 12-16-2014 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdubs71 (Post 15459099)
Its unfortunate, but this was popular before sse became popular. I remember seeing a ruger LCP for upwards of $1000.

I will simply say that was (and is) a bunch of bull ____.

I've had non-roster guns I didn't like. Sig 250, Beretta 90-Two are two that immediately come to mind. I made sure I traded them...Not for some gun valued at a ridiculous price, but a fair trade (a S&W CS45 for the Sig and a Beretta Vertec for the 90-Two). I'm not saying that selling is a bad thing, but I think taking advantage of people because one can buy something others can't is being a jerk and taking advantage of decent people.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.