Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Strikefire Red/Green Dot Not Crisp (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=789583)

uechikid 07-07-2013 3:04 PM

Strikefire Red/Green Dot Not Crisp

I ordered and receive a Vortex Strikefire Red Dot sight from PSA and was getting ready to mount it. I took a closer look and noticed that the dot isn't crisp and is some what oblong. working with it for a while and depending on whether I'm focusing on the dot or on a target the dot clears up. Is this normal? Is there a learning curve to using dot sights?
Thanks

uechikid 07-07-2013 6:25 PM

I just got an answer for another thread. Apparently an astigmatism will cause this kind is distortion with a dot sight. I'll just have to live with it I guess.

the_t0ny 07-07-2013 6:27 PM

It's not just with the strike fire, the reticle on my eotech is the same because of my astigmatism.

MellonPopper 07-07-2013 6:28 PM

When mine is on the gun, and I'm pointing/aiming around the house (and when I was in the gun store) I see somewhat of a double image, making it look oblong. In use however, single dot, crystal clear. Helps to turn the brightness down a bit. I love the scope.

uechikid 07-09-2013 3:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellonPopper (Post 11763235)
When mine is on the gun, and I'm pointing/aiming around the house (and when I was in the gun store) I see somewhat of a double image, making it look oblong. In use however, single dot, crystal clear. Helps to turn the brightness down a bit. I love the scope.

Thanks.

negolien 07-10-2013 4:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_t0ny (Post 11763218)
It's not just with the strike fire, the reticle on my eotech is the same because of my astigmatism.

Yup I concur my Eotech was the same due to an astigmatism. That's the bad side of red dots unfortunately.

HK Dave 07-10-2013 6:40 AM

How interesting... didn't know it was possible for an astigmatism to be triggered by a holographically projected image.

I thought it was only possible to get the oblong shape with a non holographic red dot like an aimpoint and strikefire etc.

You guys sure you're not just focusing on the wrong thing?

With an Eotech, when you focus on the target, the reticle becomes sharp... if you focus on the reticle, it goes fuzzy.

Sadly, with the aimpoint and strikefire red dots... it is what it is and the oblong fuzziness can't be helped.

3lsmc7 07-10-2013 7:16 AM

Same thing when I had my Aimpoint PRO. What I found is if you shoot with one eye open anyways, just pop up your rear buis (if installed) it will sharpen right up. Defeats the purpose of having a red dot but that's one option.

I see a cluster of dots due to my astigmatism. Had a chance to try out a buddies ACOG, man that thing is clear, and the dot was sharp. I heard ACOG are better for people with astigmatism (maybe FUD tho) :shrug:

m98 08-23-2013 10:24 AM

my strikefire is the same thing. I dont have astimagtism. its just the nature of reddots.

OpticsPlanet 08-26-2013 7:05 AM

Just to make sure it's not the optic, have someone else (without astigmatism) look through it. If it's clear to them, it's your eyes that are the problem. If it's not sharp and clear for them, either it's the sight, or they have astigmatism as well. If the optic has a problem, Vortex has some of the best customer service in the industry.

Mark H.

uechikid 08-26-2013 8:27 AM

My wife doesn't see what I see. She says it's a small crisp dot.