Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Competition, Action Shooting And Training. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Bad pistol techniques courtesy of Hollywood (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=788760)

ramzar 07-05-2013 4:55 PM

Bad pistol techniques courtesy of Hollywood

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/x...psec12f105.jpg

David13 07-05-2013 4:57 PM

Well, if you are trying to learn your pistol technique off Hollywood, you are in trouble.
dc

superbarnie 07-05-2013 5:17 PM

You're really just beating a dead horse.

Clee 07-05-2013 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David13 (Post 11748427)
Well, if you are trying to learn your pistol technique off Hollywood, you are in trouble.
dc

Ha ha. I guess you've not been at the range lately or been watching chumps on youtube. So many dudes who just watch snippets of the magpul videos trying to emulate Chris Costa or Travis Haley. You can tell that they haven't trained with either one (or anyone for that matter) or even at minimum bought the magpul dvds. They just watch the free stuff snippets on youtube and get it wrong. So wrong.

VolvoWrench 07-05-2013 5:56 PM

Man,
That vid. was horrible.

ramzar 07-05-2013 6:04 PM

The abundance of trash and unsafe techniques is endless.

Lugiahua 07-05-2013 6:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramzar (Post 11748911)

"Mall ninja"...
What shocks me is that people in the comment are trying to defend them and throwing insults at other who question the skill of safety..

Clee 07-05-2013 6:26 PM

Ninja rolls. Man those guys must be Bill Beasley graduates.

bohoki 07-05-2013 6:30 PM

they look ok to me they are aiming and pulling the trigger what more do you want

i say if they aren't holding them sideways its good enough

Clee 07-05-2013 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bohoki (Post 11749103)
they look ok to me they are aiming and pulling the trigger what more do you want

Which video are you referring to? The one I posted or the Italian rolling squirrels that Ramzar posted?

Either one they both are lame.

Sonic_mike 07-05-2013 6:57 PM

My heros.

ramzar 07-05-2013 7:02 PM

Quote:

The guy on the left clearly muzzles the other guy when doing the back roll.

PM720 07-05-2013 7:04 PM

Quote:

Um, I think they broke the 180? :facepalm: ;)

Scott

Lugiahua 07-05-2013 7:05 PM

Quote:

If you were serious, then your standard was pretty low.
The rolling guys clearly violated muzzle discipline.

ramzar 07-05-2013 7:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PM720 (Post 11749361)
Um, I think they broke the 180? :facepalm: ;)

Scott

They operate within a 720 degree environment - 360 horizontally and 360 vertically :D

PM720 07-05-2013 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramzar (Post 11749373)
They operate within a 720 degree environment - 360 horizontally and 360 vertically :D

6th dimension? ;)

Scott

SonofWWIIDI 07-05-2013 7:25 PM

Mark Wahlberg: “I believe Charlton Heston is America’s best villain because he loves guns so much. Maybe he should get the award for being president of the National Rifle Association.” But his anti-gun attitude didn’t stop there. “Well, I would love it if they could take all the guns away. Unfortunately, you can’t do that so you hope that good people in the world have them to protect the people who can’t protect themselves,” “Certainly, I haven’t used a gun anywhere other than on a movie set and I’d like to see if we could take them all away. It would be a beautiful thing.” http://www.holstersiwb.com/Famous-Pe...d-Pro-Gun.html

Wahlberg has poor skills probably because just holding a gun (movie prop or not) scares the crap out of him, and makes him sick to his stomach.

SonofWWIIDI 07-05-2013 7:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clee (Post 11748821)
Ha ha. I guess you've not been at the range lately or been watching chumps on youtube. So many dudes who just watch snippets of the magpul videos trying to emulate Chris Costa or Travis Haley. You can tell that they haven't trained with either one (or anyone for that matter) or even at minimum bought the magpul dvds. They just watch the free stuff snippets on youtube and get it wrong. So wrong.

Not too far off the highway, did you see the traffic going by in the background?

Quote:

Synchronized shooting teams? The new Olympic sport!

omgwtfbbq 07-05-2013 8:23 PM

Quote:

These guys kill me.

I would like to find a competent instructor who seriously advocates staying stationary and mag dumping as legit combat shooting techniques.

As for Hollywood... That's an entirely different can of worms. I was watching Mr. and Mrs. Smith the other night (I'm a sucker for Angelina) and there's a scene in which Brad Pitt is stalking through the house looking for Angelina with his very nice suppressed 1911 but as I looked closely I could tell that if the situation were real, he would surely die... The slide on said 1911 was out of battery.

Bobby Hated 07-05-2013 8:57 PM

I have a LEO friend who's in an elite interagency unit and his agency sent him to a class at Gunsite and the instructor insisted on everyone shooting weaver with a 60/40 grip...

and those people get paid to teach wrong technique! :facepalm:

Clee 07-05-2013 9:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Hated (Post 11750223)
I have a LEO friend who's in an elite interagency unit and his agency sent him to a class at Gunsite and the instructor insisted on everyone shooting weaver with a 60/40 grip...

Not the only "Big" school stuck in the past...
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...fh7Z-b0GWqCv2g
My guess is there is no one strong enough to challenge and change the curriculum toward more "modern" techniques.

fallfornoone 07-05-2013 9:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clee (Post 11750377)
Not the only "Big" school stuck in the past...
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...fh7Z-b0GWqCv2g
My guess is there is no one strong enough to challenge and change the curriculum toward more "modern" techniques.

What's a better stance?

Lugiahua 07-05-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Hated (Post 11750223)

I thought that Gunsite no longer insist Weaver stance for years...

pipboy 07-05-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What the...:confused:

Good grief, I'm not sure whether to laugh or cringe...

Lugiahua 07-05-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq (Post 11749972)
These guys kill me.

I would like to find a competent instructor who seriously advocates staying stationary and mag dumping as legit combat shooting techniques.

especially dumping 100 rounds at same target (if there was a target at all:rolleyes:)

Bobby Ricigliano 07-06-2013 12:02 AM

I will be releasing a training video soon. Students will see me quickly dump a full magazine into a hillside (No targets). I will then transition to my handgun and barrel roll to pop up in front of a dirt mound. I will place 15 rounds into the pile from combat distance..

8Alpha 07-06-2013 12:13 AM

They are super tacticool, where do I sign up? I'm looking to waste lots of ammo in 2 mins.

Clee 07-06-2013 8:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipboy (Post 11750861)
What the...:confused:

Good grief, I'm not sure whether to laugh or cringe...

The first one you laugh, the second you cringe.

Awedtone 07-06-2013 8:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano (Post 11751202)
I will be releasing a training video soon. Students will see me quickly dump a full magazine into a hillside (No targets). I will then transition to my handgun and barrel roll to pop up in front of a dirt mound. I will place 15 rounds into the pile from combat distance..

Naahh . . . can't be done.:D

ZombieTactics 07-06-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clee (Post 11749064)
Ninja rolls. Man those guys must be Bill Beasley graduates.

Took the words right out of my mouth. What's worse is that they have worked very hard, at becoming very proficient at nonsense.

Here's more from Italy's candidate for "the ADE of Europe":

bohoki 07-06-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugiahua (Post 11749364)
If you were serious, then your standard was pretty low.
The rolling guys clearly violated muzzle discipline.

i am replying to the first post not any replies

Lugiahua 07-06-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombieTactics (Post 11753577)
Took the words right out of my mouth. What's worse is that they have worked very hard, at becoming very proficient at nonsense.

You'd be shock, but some Asian military actually believe in this type nonsense.
Some high ups there want to "mix" shooting and traditional martial art moves

then you would see soldiers jumping over flaming pool while holding a live weapon, do several ninja rolls then shoot guns at "a guy holding up" a target.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxu7hFeo29w
This was in 2010 I believe in Taiwan...
(I don't know how to attach videos)

since guns are generally illegal in Asia, few people ever trained in tactical shooting, thus such "performance" could survive there.

ZombieTactics 07-06-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugiahua (Post 11753665)
You'd be shock, but some Asian military actually believe in this type nonsense. ...

Not much shocks me anymore. There are all sorts of "combat posturing" moves, which vary from culture to culture.

ramzar 07-06-2013 1:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugiahua (Post 11753665)
You'd be shock, but some Asian military actually believe in this type nonsense.
Some high ups there want to "mix" shooting and traditional martial art moves

then you would see soldiers jumping over flaming pool while holding a live weapon, do several ninja rolls then shoot guns at "a guy holding up" a target.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxu7hFeo29w
This was in 2010 I believe in Taiwan...
(I don't know how to attach videos)

since guns are generally illegal in Asia, few people ever trained in tactical shooting, thus such "performance" could survive there.

Tactical tango!

The depth of shenanigans should leave us befuddled but there are just too many instances.

Like this:
http://www.traderkingdom.com/images/.../quinto611.JPG

DSMeyer 07-06-2013 2:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombieTactics (Post 11753577)

They must not be fond of their feet, knees, thigh, peoplel to the left, right or behind them as all of it was muzzled while watching in slow motion.
Then to top it off I was waiting for the song electric avenue to start playing and seeing the guy start doing some major break dancing moves on the tarp.

PM720 07-06-2013 2:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramzar (Post 11754323)
Tactical tango!

The depth of shenanigans should leave us befuddled but there are just too many instances.

Like this:
http://www.traderkingdom.com/images/.../quinto611.JPG

Geez I hope there is a berm behind the photographer! :facepalm:

Scott

funnybookz 07-06-2013 2:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI (Post 11749503)
Mark Wahlberg: “I believe Charlton Heston is America’s best villain because he loves guns so much. Maybe he should get the award for being president of the National Rifle Association.” But his anti-gun attitude didn’t stop there. “Well, I would love it if they could take all the guns away. Unfortunately, you can’t do that so you hope that good people in the world have them to protect the people who can’t protect themselves,” “Certainly, I haven’t used a gun anywhere other than on a movie set and I’d like to see if we could take them all away. It would be a beautiful thing.” http://www.holstersiwb.com/Famous-Pe...d-Pro-Gun.html

Wahlberg has poor skills probably because just holding a gun (movie prop or not) scares the crap out of him, and makes him sick to his stomach.

Isn't he a felon? He went to prison back in the day, right? I could have sworn it was a felony charge, therefor he wouldn't have any gun rights. That might somewhat explain his stance, but hardly justifies it.

Lugiahua 07-06-2013 3:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funnybookz (Post 11754560)
Isn't he a felon? He went to prison back in the day, right? I could have sworn it was a felony charge, therefor he wouldn't have any gun rights. That might somewhat explain his stance, but hardly justifies it.

Is it even legal to let him holding real a gun during the film?

JohnnyMtn 07-06-2013 4:10 PM

Wahlberg did serve time in prison for assault. Probably should have been attempted murder because iirc he beat a guy unconscious with a pipe or bar or something. I think I remember hearing that the guy lost an eye.

JohnnyMtn 07-06-2013 4:24 PM

Sounds like Wahlberg has that typical mindset that if I cannot have something then really nobody should have it. (And I'm assuming he cannot own firearms because of his past)