-   General gun discussions (
-   -   selling a C&R rifle (

chachachanng 03-02-2013 7:45 PM

selling a C&R rifle
just to make sure im doing this correctly,

if im selling a C&R eligible rifle (m1 carbine) all i have to do is check out a copy of the paperwork from the buyer and exchange the goods? no other paperwork required?


Quiet 03-02-2013 9:44 PM

Until 01-01-2014...
If the C&R rifle is 50 or more years old, it can legally be transferred via face-to-face cash & carry.
Meaning, if they are a non-prohibited person, then they give you money and you hand them the firearm.
Checking to see if they are a non-prohibited person is, most often, accomplished by checking their CA DL/ID, in order to verify they are over 18 years of age & are a CA resident, and asking them a few questions to check if they are prohibited from possessing firearms/ammunition (are you a felon?, etc).

Some people will do a bill-of-sale to document that the transfer took place, but it is not required by Federal or CA state laws.

Some M-1 Carbines are not C&R and do not qualify for this type of transfer.
So, make sure your M-1 Carbine is a C&R that is 50 or more years old.

Penal Code 27965
(a) If all of the following requirements are satisfied, Section 27545 does not apply to the sale, loan, or transfer of a firearm:
(1) The sale, loan, or transfer is infrequent, as defined in Section 16730.
(2) The firearm is not a handgun.
(3) The firearm is a curio or relic manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date but is not a replica, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or its successor.
(b) This section shall remain in effect only until January 1, 2014, and as of that date is repealed, unless a later enacted statute, that is enacted before January 1, 2014, deletes or extends that date.

retiredAFcop 03-02-2013 9:55 PM

You can also have them sign a statement on the bill of sale that says they are not prohibited from possessing firearms.

You might want to put the year of manufacture on the bill of sale, as part of the description of the gun.

That and adding the DL # to bill of sale are CYAs for you.

Some people will freak out that you are doing your due diligence and CYA. Most people will understand.

blueviper 03-03-2013 8:37 PM

thnaks everyone good infro

chachachanng 03-04-2013 9:32 AM

thanks for the info!

joepamjohn 03-04-2013 6:41 PM

Selling the Carbine........Perfectly legal.
Selling an original 15 round magazine that came with the Carbine.........Jail time.

Now, how about those laws?

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.