Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Shotgun discussions (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   WTF? Remington 870 - Broken ejector (?) and choke! (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=701290)

wilafur 02-10-2013 10:28 PM

WTF? Remington 870 - Broken ejector (?) and choke!

went shooting today and had two items break on my remington 870. the remington is approximately two yrs old and has between 400-500rds of birdshot through her.

first off, it looks like my ejector broke. what can cause this to happen? in addition, is this relatively easy to repair considering that i am somewhat mechanically challenged?

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...on/photo11.jpg

secondly, the threaded portion of the choke had a clean break from the rest of the choke:

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...on/photo13.jpg

pretty crazy, but i was lucky that i was able to screw the threaded portion back out from the barrel without a ton of trouble.

is it me or are remingtons no longer made to last forever? :(

jeffrice6 02-10-2013 11:21 PM

your ejector looks fine to me (on my phone) Were you having problems ejecting shells?

Sucks about the choke....But at least that is easily replaced.

big al 02-11-2013 5:48 AM

Ejector seems to look normal. Are you having problems ejecting your empties?

trapshot68 02-11-2013 7:13 AM

That's the second 870 with an ejector breakage like that I've seen.

It's broken.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...m870gap2-1.jpg

Not sure about the fixing procedure (heard it's hell), but PM Aippi. He's a certified Remington smith/armorer and has sound advice.

Coyotegunner 02-11-2013 7:21 AM

Consider calling Remington with the serial number available.Ask them to send a call tag for it to factory repair.They will try to send you to a local authorized repair.The last authized repair guy I went to botched the repair so bad,I had to send it to the factory anyway.
Be nice,but aggressive when you talk to them.If you come off like a dick,you will not get anywhere.

wilafur 02-11-2013 8:51 AM

thanks for the replies fellas and thanks for confirming the ejector is broken.

yup, we had a tough time ejecting the empty shells, as we could only rack it back halfway before the shell got caught on on the jagged lip above the staked pin.

will reach out to the factory and aippi. i hope remington makes it right.

aippi 02-11-2013 7:17 PM

changing the ejector is not simple. It takes a couple speical tools and requires the receiver to be refinished. My one gripe with the 870 design. If they had drilled and tapped screws instead of rivets it would be a simple fix. Make sure the gun smith who does this also refinishes as the rivets will not fit flush once replaced and have to be ground flush. So, it is best to make this a factory repair as they are the only ones who can apply that finish on an Express model. Or, find a place to parkerize it.

As for that Tactical Rem Joke tube breaking. That was the best thing that could have happend to you as now you can simply screw in an I/C or Mod tube and your good to go.

hntnnut 02-11-2013 8:14 PM

Remingtons are junk any more, A buddy just bought the latest and greatest 105 and the extractor broke before he made it through his first box of ammo.
I have 2 other friends that have/had 870s and both have had problems with spent shells of all brands getting stuck in the chamber.

Richard

jyo 02-12-2013 3:16 PM

It would seem that 870s produced in the last few years suffer from many QC issues---especially the cheapie Express models. The older 870s have a legendary track-record as being almost indestructible. Too bad...

aippi 02-12-2013 5:36 PM

I shoot several hundred different new 870's Express models a year with no extraction issues and even use the worst crap out there, Winchester Universal, to test my guns. I clean the chamber before I do because they come from the factory with a presevative inside the barrel and I don't want that mess to gum up. I also keep the chamber clean on my 870's and they are all recent Express Models as is 90% of the ones I build on. Wilson Combat, Night Hawk and most all the others build on the new Express Models and have no issues. Because they clean barrels like I do.

The weapon leaves the factory and goes to a Distributor where it can sit some times for more then a year. Then it is sold to a gun shop and sit there for a long time as well. Anyone think Remington would send these weapons out with bare unprotected metal? There is no finish in the chamber and bore is there? Wonder why they don't rust after sitting for all that time.

So you have guys posting in and bashing the model yet they buy what? One or two. I buy several hundred a year and shoot every one of them and don't have issues.

Clean every new weapon out of the box. And yes, cheap ammo can cause problems and not just in the 870. In your Mossberg, in your doubles and any other shotgun out there. And yes, every now and then a chamber on a new weapon needs a light pass with a chamber hone. I have done a couple even though they were extracting OK. I have a test I do and if a barrel does not pass I fix it. I hold the barrel chamber up and drop a round in it and the turn the barrel over. If the round does not fall out easily then I might give it a light pass of a chamber hone. But I generally just hit it hard with my cleaning?polishing rig. As for the ones I have honed, two or three out of a few thousand is not an issue to me.

hntnnut 02-12-2013 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aippi (Post 10514305)
I shoot several hundred different new 870's Express models a year with no extraction issues and even use the worst crap out there, Winchester Universal, to test my guns. I clean the chamber before I do because they come from the factory with a presevative inside the barrel and I don't want that mess to gum up. I also keep the chamber clean on my 870's and they are all recent Express Models as is 90% of the ones I build on. Wilson Combat, Night Hawk and most all the others build on the new Express Models and have no issues. Because they clean barrels like I do.

The weapon leaves the factory and goes to a Distributor where it can sit some times for more then a year. Then it is sold to a gun shop and sit there for a long time as well. Anyone think Remington would send these weapons out with bare unprotected metal? There is no finish in the chamber and bore is there? Wonder why they don't rust after sitting for all that time.

So you have guys posting in and bashing the model yet they buy what? One or two. I buy several hundred a year and shoot every one of them and don't have issues.

Clean every new weapon out of the box. And yes, cheap ammo can cause problems and not just in the 870. In your Mossberg, in your doubles and any other shotgun out there. And yes, every now and then a chamber on a new weapon needs a light pass with a chamber hone. I have done a couple even though they were extracting OK. I have a test I do and if a barrel does not pass I fix it. I hold the barrel chamber up and drop a round in it and the turn the barrel over. If the round does not fall out easily then I might give it a light pass of a chamber hone. But I generally just hit it hard with my cleaning?polishing rig. As for the ones I have honed, two or three out of a few thousand is not an issue to me.

So what your saying is Remingtion sends out a percentage of its guns that arn't finished and the finish work needs to be completed by the new owner? Do they include the barrel hones to complete this work with the gun?
When I buy a gun it damn well better function with out fail.
How do you explain the broken extractor/ejector issues? sure can't blame the ammo, and the chamber issues with the 870s i'm directly connected to are NOT due to any coating that the gun came with.

Richard

MXRider 02-12-2013 6:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hntnnut (Post 10514565)
So what your saying is Remingtion sends out a percentage of its guns that arn't finished and the finish work needs to be completed by the new owner? Do they include the barrel hones to complete this work with the gun?
When I buy a gun it damn well better function with out fail.
How do you explain the broken extractor/ejector issues? sure can't blame the ammo, and the chamber issues with the 870s i'm directly connected to are NOT due to any coating that the gun came with.

Richard

Anything man made can fail. When you mass produce items, you will get a percentage with issues, doesn't matter if its a TV, washing machine, car, firearm, space shuttle, etc.

For all the problems you read of, there are thousands with no issues. Not defending Remington as I don't own one, I'm just saying **** happens.

Jbaker8390 02-12-2013 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MXRider (Post 10514684)
Anything man made can fail. When you mass produce items, you will get a percentage with issues, doesn't matter if its a TV, washing machine, car, firearm, space shuttle, etc.

For all the problems you read of, there are thousands with no issues. Not defending Remington as I don't own one, I'm just saying **** happens.

+1 MXrider response

Agreed, I've had my share of problems with Mossberg, but i'm not personally taking a vendetta against Mossberg on the forum or think they're terrible or have bad quality control issues. I take the same perspective on any mass produce items including Remington product line. I Have a wingmaster and an express. No problems with either of them, on the other hand with Mossberg I've had an issue with one Mossberg 500, is it a representation of the quality of the entire company, Of course not, it's an isolated case.

Seems like this "Richard" individual has some sort of hatred against Remington. That's fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether your opinion holds merit that's another issue. There's no way to verify your hearsay statements like "my friends 870" "A buddy just bought the latest and greatest 105 and the extractor broke before he made it through his first box of ammo". That goes the same with my Mossberg experience, take it with a grain of salt.

Good luck to the OP with getting your extractor repaired, it's unfortunate that happened to you, update us on when/how long the it takes to get it repaired.

mikey357 02-12-2013 8:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aippi (Post 10503278)
changing the ejector is not simple. It takes a couple speical tools and requires the receiver to be refinished. My one gripe with the 870 design. If they had drilled and tapped screws instead of rivets it would be a simple fix. Make sure the gun smith who does this also refinishes as the rivets will not fit flush once replaced and have to be ground flush. So, it is best to make this a factory repair as they are the only ones who can apply that finish on an Express model. Or, find a place to parkerize it.

As for that Tactical Rem Joke tube breaking. That was the best thing that could have happend to you as now you can simply screw in an I/C or Mod tube and your good to go.

--------
JD,
In your experience, would this rivet cutting tool be of any help to the OP?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdA1tFQpJRo

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/le...-577%20Rem.pdf

HatersLOVEme : ) 02-13-2013 1:02 AM

Sucky sorry to hear man !

hntnnut 02-13-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MXRider (Post 10514684)

I agree, I wasn't bashing Remingtion per-say just stating my personal observations. I'm not anti Remingtion i've owned several over the years most have been fine guns. I just think remingtions Q.C. needs to be revamped as their quality has diminished in about the last 10 years. As for my observations they ARE first hand, seen the issues with my own eyes.

Richard

uw06670 02-13-2013 11:06 PM

I had to send a brand new Glock 20 back to the factory for a slight defect in not returning to battery fully. And bought a "new" AK that also needed factory adjustments to remedy a similar bolt closing issue. Both worked great afterwards.

But if Glocks and AKs can start out defective when new, I think anything with moving parts can.