Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns LEOs (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Leosa (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=695428)

beech bum 02-03-2013 11:51 AM

Leosa

I did a quick search and didn't turn up anything.
My question is if any officer has retired on a "stress" retirement and been able to obtain credentials that allow concealed carry? I left law enforcement several years ago on such a retirement. I have a county issued carry permit but a possible new job will require extensive travel and crossing state lines. I've heard other states issue non resident permits but LEOSA would seem to be a better way to go. I seem to remember verbiage about being mentally defective as disqualifying. My department says stress = mental defect. I find that to be offensive in the least. Anyone have any thoughts or experience?
Thanks.

bc360 02-03-2013 12:24 PM

LEOSA is clear on this subject. Honorable service retirement retirement, or medical retirement due to injury. No mental health (stress). In addition LEOSA is confirmed/granted by your agency depending if you still live in the same state you retired from.

beech bum 02-03-2013 1:30 PM

Thank you.

Ron-Solo 02-03-2013 1:35 PM

Stress retirement can be either from a mental illness issue or from a medical condition such as high blood pressure.

If your agency issued you credentials with a CCW, they can certify you for LEOSA. You will need to check with them.

LEOSA status must be renewed every year.

RickD427 02-03-2013 2:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bc360 (Post 10414620)
LEOSA is clear on this subject. Honorable service retirement retirement, or medical retirement due to injury. No mental health (stress). In addition LEOSA is confirmed/granted by your agency depending if you still live in the same state you retired from.

Sir,

I believe that you are mistaken in reporting that "LEOSA is confirmed/granted by your agency if you still live in the same state you retired from."

There is no provision in the LEOSA that treats retirees any differently based on their state of residence.

Please note that an Illinois trial court (in a case not establishing a legal precedent) held that Drew Peterson (of the Bolingbrook Illinois fame) lawfully possessed an assault weapon under LEOSA that was otherwise illegal under Illinois law. In this case he was within the state he retired from.

beech bum 02-03-2013 2:49 PM

I retired from a city police department before LEOSA. I have a ccw from my local SO. A more focused question would be if anyone has been able to challenge the mental defect provision. I'm watching the Super Bowl at the moment so hope I'm making sense.

Ron-Solo 02-03-2013 3:05 PM

I think if your agency did npt grant you CCW upon your retirement, you are going to be out of luck as far as LEOSA is concerned. You may be better off getting an Arizona or Utah CCW to go with your California CCW. Just remember, some states, like Hawaii, New York and New Jersey are not gun friendly. You may also wish to contact your agency for reconsideration of your CCW status.

Good Luck

beech bum 02-03-2013 3:19 PM

Thank you.

Psykronik 02-12-2013 12:08 PM

I am looking for the opinion of a CA LEO regarding this.

Under 14USC143, "Commissioned, warrant, and petty officers of the Coast Guard are deemed to be officers of the customs".

Even as Boarding Team Members and Boarding Officers, we are not issued identification stating that we are Federal LEO's.

Would you honor the USCG military ID under LEOSA? If not, what documentation requirements would you prefer?