Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Breaking: VP Biden- New gun controls likely won't end shootings (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=694075)

gwgn02 02-01-2013 5:22 PM

Breaking: VP Biden- New gun controls likely won't end shootings

Biden let's the cat out of the bag after dancing on the graves of children. H/T @marklevinshow

"Nothing we're going to do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that we will bring gun deaths down to 1,000 a year from what it is now," Biden told reporters Thursday afternoon after he spent over an hour lunching with Democratic senators at the Capitol.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2...-end-shootings

Vice President Joe Biden acknowledged that new gun laws would not "fundamentally alter" the likelihood of another mass shooting, though he insisted there has been a "sea change" in American views on guns in the wake of Newtown.
"Nothing we're going to do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that we will bring gun deaths down to 1,000 a year from what it is now," Biden told reporters Thursday afternoon after he spent over an hour lunching with Democratic senators at the Capitol.
"But there are things that we can do, demonstrably can do, that have virtually zero impact on your Second Amendment right to own a weapon for both self defense and recreation that can save some lives," he said.
Biden was on the Hill to help sell a package of changes to the nation's gun laws that President Barack Obama is pushing in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., shootings that killed 20 elementary school children and six adults. The president wants an assault weapons ban, limits on the size of gun magazines, universal background checks and a federal gun trafficking statute.
The 1994 assault-weapons ban was allowed to expire in 2004, and there had been little appetite to reenact it.
Still, that was before Newtown -- and the vice president insisted Thursday that the tragedy there changed the public's attitudes toward gun-safety legislation, a reality that would make new firearms regulations possible.
"I'm not saying there's an absolute consensus on all these things," Biden said, "but there is a sea change, a sea change in the attitudes of the American people. I believe the American people will not understand -- and I know that everyone in that caucus understands -- they won't understand if we don't act.
"The visual image of those 20 innocent children being riddled with bullets has, has absolutely, not only traumatized the nation, but it has caused-- like the straw that broke the camel's back."
As evidence, he pointed to what he said was new support from evangelical Christian groups for some gun regulation. Biden told reporters that support from conservative religious groups that represent largely rural constituencies was different than it's been during past legislative fights over guns.
Biden said he did not watch a gun violence hearing the Senate Judiciary Committee held Thursday; at that hearing, Democrats and gun-violence victims clashed with Republicans and the National Rifle Association over whether universal background checks would reduce gun crimes.
Biden on Wednesday met with former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and her husband, Mark Kelly, who both testified at the Senate hearing.

RMP91 02-01-2013 5:24 PM

Delayed Reaction much, Mr. Biden? :)

taperxz 02-01-2013 5:27 PM

Biden was told by the president to look at what will and won't work. He did.

Actually it sounds like he did a pretty good job of it with the quote he gave in the OP.

He is now telling the truth after hearing all sides. I'm no Biden fan but whats wrong with his conclusion from THIS administration?

GREASY357 02-01-2013 5:36 PM

Big Brother is disappoint.

fred40 02-01-2013 5:40 PM

Finally something worth hearing.

thefitter 02-01-2013 5:41 PM

Well he's not going to get any more blow jobs from Feinstein!

paul0660 02-01-2013 5:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefitter (Post 10394509)

My eyes...........................

650proof 02-01-2013 6:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul0660 (Post 10394539)

http://eyebleach.com/

fred40 02-01-2013 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 650proof (Post 10394744)

My brain!

russt 02-01-2013 6:05 PM

glad to hear some good news

MadMax 02-01-2013 6:10 PM

Quote:

:ack2:

:puke::puke::puke:

tcrpe 02-01-2013 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taperxz (Post 10394381)
I'm no Biden fan but whats wrong with his conclusion from THIS administration?

They are the Decepticons.

rootuser 02-01-2013 6:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcrpe (Post 10394942)
They are the Decepticons.

Thank god because Optimus Prime was a horse's va-jay-jay.

Wiz-of-Awd 02-01-2013 7:16 PM

Quote:

That - right there - is funny, and a little scary at the same time.

A.W.D.

phdo 02-01-2013 8:35 PM

Quote:

That was so inappropriate and uncalled for. I love it!!!!!

Sakiri 02-01-2013 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiz-of-Awd (Post 10395679)
That - right there - is funny, and a little scary at the same time.

A.W.D.

Yeah I'm not entirely sure I want to think about it.

vonderplatz 02-01-2013 8:46 PM

I love watching that idiot.

Cobrafreak 02-01-2013 9:11 PM

Are the Dems starting to realize that They will lose EVERYTHING if this CRAP goes through? lol.

Nxd9ar15xcrL 02-01-2013 9:20 PM

Quote:

:rofl2:

Nxd9ar15xcrL 02-01-2013 9:23 PM

"Nothing we're going to do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that we will bring gun deaths down to 1,000 a year from what it is now," Biden told reporters Thursday afternoon after he spent over an hour lunching with Democratic senators at the Capitol."

It's called: Wait for the BUT!!!!

RobGR 02-01-2013 9:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMP91 (Post 10394346)
Delayed Reaction much, Mr. Biden? :)

He waited for all the hot-heads to cool down. I like it. Let's see the fallout now and how the media will demonise him.

randomBytes 02-01-2013 9:33 PM

He admits it won't help - but wants to do it anyway.
"We have to do something, this is something".

SgtMerc 02-01-2013 9:45 PM

This seems like a preemptive strike at their proposed laws failing. So when their laws are ineffective, nobody can claim they were deceived.

HondaMasterTech 02-01-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Actually it sounds like he did a pretty good job of it with the quote he gave in the OP.

He is now telling the truth after hearing all sides. I'm no Biden fan but whats wrong with his conclusion from THIS administration?

Because within the same article, Biden states that even though new regulations won't do crap, AR15's and such should be banned anyway. It's one thing for a politician to be wrong, it at least leaves the possibility that they can be shown the truth and let their opinion change. This guy admits the obvious but still wants to take guns from law-abiding citizens, which is what their ban would do.

DemocracyEnaction 02-01-2013 10:53 PM

Good maybe they figured out what happens when you poke the bear.

Kid Stanislaus 02-01-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Is that kind of garbage really necessary in this forum?:confused:

CalJimbo 02-01-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

There are some things you can't "un-read." The horror...the horror...

Welp, back to eye bleaching...heh, heh.

DGD73 02-02-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HondaMasterTech (Post 10398251)
Because within the same article, Biden states that even though new regulations won't do crap, AR15's and such should be banned anyway. It's one thing for a politician to be wrong, it at least leaves the possibility that they can be shown the truth and let their opinion change. This guy admits the obvious but still wants to take guns from law-abiding citizens, which is what their ban would do.

This is exactly what I got out of it also. He is saying nothing we do will stop it, but we have to do something to show people we are doing something. And yes he is still proposing gun control and saying it isn't infringing on the 2nd amendment.

myk 02-02-2013 12:55 AM

Again, isn't Biden the guy that said "we may be wrong in what we're doing, but at least we believe in what we're doing," or something to that effect...

cmichini 02-02-2013 6:53 AM

The tards should pay attention to some simple truths:

You can't fix stupid.
You can't stop crazy.
You can't legislate morality.

hellayella 02-02-2013 7:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwgn02 (Post 10394328)
Biden let's the cat out of the bag after dancing on the graves of children. H/T @marklevinshow

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2...-end-shootings

Vice President Joe Biden acknowledged that new gun laws would not "fundamentally alter" the likelihood of another mass shooting, though he insisted there has been a "sea change" in American views on guns in the wake of Newtown.
"But there are things that we can do, demonstrably can do, that have virtually zero impact on your Second Amendment right to own a weapon for both self defense and recreation that can save some lives," he said.
Biden was on the Hill to help sell a package of changes to the nation's gun laws that President Barack Obama is pushing in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., shootings that killed 20 elementary school children and six adults. The president wants an assault weapons ban, limits on the size of gun magazines, universal background checks and a federal gun trafficking statute.
The 1994 assault-weapons ban was allowed to expire in 2004, and there had been little appetite to reenact it.
Still, that was before Newtown -- and the vice president insisted Thursday that the tragedy there changed the public's attitudes toward gun-safety legislation, a reality that would make new firearms regulations possible.
"I'm not saying there's an absolute consensus on all these things," Biden said, "but there is a sea change, a sea change in the attitudes of the American people. I believe the American people will not understand -- and I know that everyone in that caucus understands -- they won't understand if we don't act.
"The visual image of those 20 innocent children being riddled with bullets has, has absolutely, not only traumatized the nation, but it has caused-- like the straw that broke the camel's back."
As evidence, he pointed to what he said was new support from evangelical Christian groups for some gun regulation. Biden told reporters that support from conservative religious groups that represent largely rural constituencies was different than it's been during past legislative fights over guns.
Biden said he did not watch a gun violence hearing the Senate Judiciary Committee held Thursday; at that hearing, Democrats and gun-violence victims clashed with Republicans and the National Rifle Association over whether universal background checks would reduce gun crimes.
Biden on Wednesday met with former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and her husband, Mark Kelly, who both testified at the Senate hearing.

well by golly, if the Dems woulda known all this; they wouldnt have taken the whole 2A supporters on a ride to hell and back....(unless it's in the plans, already..!!) (putting on my tin foil hat, haha)

Mulay El Raisuli 02-02-2013 8:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus (Post 10398813)

Oh, c'mon. Its funny! Funny matters. ESPECIALLY lately.

Besides, wasn't the trip to the "eye bleaching" site worthwhile?

The Raisuli

donw 02-02-2013 8:58 AM

errrrrrrrrrrrrr...ahhhhhhhhh...joe may have regained consciousness...

SlobRay 02-02-2013 8:59 AM

Quote:

His conclusion is correct and true, but the problem is that even though he came to this conclusion (possibly all by himself), he is still pushing for all the gun control his puppet master is calling for. Now if he said something along the lines of......

Quote:

Nothing we're going to do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that we will bring gun deaths down to 1,000 a year from what it is now, so we need to scrap the bills coming down the pipe and find a real solution to violence, all violence.
The bold is my interpretation of what he should say for the American gun owners to get behind him.

Ray

redhead 02-02-2013 9:05 AM

I just read the first few comments. Pretty predictable. "If it saves just one life..." "Inaction is unaccptable! We have to do something!"

Yeah, do something even if it's useless and punishes the law-abiding, and stomps on our rights.

therealnickb 02-02-2013 9:20 AM

Quote:

There is an old joke out there.... the punch line is "... don't look down".

therealnickb 02-02-2013 9:25 AM

Quote:

While your conclusion is possible, I'd bet it's just a late CYA. They were well aware that new bans would have no effect. So any ineffectual action they took would come back to haunt them later. Pure politics IMO.

Milsurps 02-02-2013 9:43 AM

I find this disappointing to read. :(

Quote:

glocksmith 02-02-2013 9:48 AM

Keep calling and sending letters to the politicians. As soon as we let up they will sneak through a bill further stripping our rights.

thefitter 02-02-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus (Post 10398813)

So sorry. I would have thought someone that uses quotes from vampire novels in their sig would have more of a sense of humor.