Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   How do you store your ammo to prevent against theft? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=691718)

ThemBastards 01-29-2013 9:16 PM

How do you store your ammo to prevent against theft?

I have a good amount of ammo and am wondering what the best method of storage would be to make it as hard as possible to walk off with on the cheap. Any ideas?

I'm thinking metal boxes and heavy chains linking them together making it too heavy and awkward to carry? I know that if there is a thief with unlimited time he will get what he wants but the average smash and grab thug might be deterred by a metal case with chains? Anybody doing this?

Intimid8tor 01-29-2013 9:47 PM

OPSEC is your friend.

ThemBastards 01-29-2013 9:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intimid8tor (Post 10364478)
OPSEC is your friend.

Yeah, I live in a "gated" apartment complex next to the ghetto. I have had an empty shotgun case in my truck since the weekend because I don't want to take it out in the day time. You should see me trying to load my truck when I go camping- haha real "covert".

joelogic 01-29-2013 11:32 PM

smash and grab? What could he carry, 2 50cal cans? Not that much to worry about.

fremont lapua 01-29-2013 11:49 PM

I would rather they take my ammo and leave the rest. I worry more about locking up guns, cash, and jewelry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the86d 01-30-2013 5:07 AM

Lock it up in the house, not in my closet, and set the house alarm...

I think this is a good way to handle it, if you have a motion detectors in key locations, and a cellular-backup on the alarm system...

Cameras (motion-detection activated) that record to a device that is not easily found, or removed without a 2-man team, makes me feel better so if I got robbed in the 30 seconds after the break-in, I would have pictures &/or video to give to the cops, and I can zoom in on faces after the fact.

X231 01-30-2013 6:31 AM

I bought one of these from Harbor Freight. Calling it a safe is a stretch, more like a security cabinet. Now I need a bigger security cabinet :D http://www.harborfreight.com/executive-safe-95824.html Try not to look at the model .. it will make your eyes hurt.

with a 20% off coupon it was about $270 otd

ThemBastards 01-30-2013 8:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X231 (Post 10366663)
I bought one of these from Harbor Freight. Calling it a safe is a stretch, more like a security cabinet. Now I need a bigger security cabinet :D http://www.harborfreight.com/executive-safe-95824.html Try not to look at the model .. it will make your eyes hurt.

with a 20% off coupon it was about $270 otd

Hahaha.

CaffeinFeign 01-30-2013 3:12 PM

[QUOTE=X231;10366663]I bought one of these from Harbor Freight. Calling it a safe is a stretch, more like a security cabinet. Now I need a bigger security cabinet :D http://www.harborfreight.com/executive-safe-95824.html Try not to look at the model .. it will make your eyes hurt.

I used one of these for a few years, until I outgrew it. these security cabinets work alright...but don't think for a moment that a crowbar cant get it open in about 15 seconds cause they can. (I would bolt it to the floor) I saved up and bought a full blown superior safe last year. I think I might use my HF one for ammo...now that I think about it...

kel-tec-innovations 01-30-2013 7:11 PM

Smash and grab....jokingly you can cover them with Bibles or books their like kryptonite to criminals. Noooo boookks

What ever doesn't look appealing, have a clear plastic bin, line it up with pads and tampon, place ammo in center and with a huge sharpie write pads and tampon on the container.

ThemBastards 01-30-2013 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kel-tec-innovations (Post 10374291)
Smash and grab....jokingly you can cover them with Bibles or books their like kryptonite to criminals. Noooo boookks

What ever doesn't look appealing, have a clear plastic bin, line it up with pads and tampon, place ammo in center and with a huge sharpie write pads and tampon on the container.

Maybe some fake urine jars with dates written on them? I like where you're going.

ckyrulez 02-03-2013 9:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X231 (Post 10366663)
Try not to look at the model .. it will make your eyes hurt.

I zoomed-in on the picture and it accidentally zoomed-in on the model.

My eyes!

:ack2:

Atlantaboi2012 02-03-2013 10:12 AM

Unless you live in the projects and told the whole neighborhood you have cases of gold plated ammo you should be ok if you simply lock your door. Im sure if someone broke into your house, ammo would be the last thing theyd walk off with. Id be worried about the expensive guns the ammo would go into instead and get a safe

EMPTYITOUT 02-03-2013 11:02 AM

Classic clip Kel-Tec! For security I've resorted to bolting down Knaack/ job boxes right into the concrete using threaded expanding anchors. Figure this was the best way to secure a job box as there's no way to pry or cut at the anchor points. My garage is like a treasure hoard to a crackhead....tools, guns and copper.

Oldmandan 02-03-2013 8:56 PM

I have a stack-on wall locker that I store mine in. You can't put a ton in there, but it works.

GringoBandito6136 02-04-2013 3:25 PM

Trust me fellas... ammo is a major commodity to criminals. The guns and ammo they use to do all their misdeeds are 90% of the time taken from the closets and dresser drawers of the law abiding.

Ammo itself gets distributed pretty quickly, and for that reason its normal to find Infant Crip and Lil Puppet walking down the street with a sock full of .25auto or 9mm that one of his homies just liberated from Mr. Wilson's house down the street.

Secure your guns. Secure your ammo. Make it a priority to keep them out of enemy hands, because that's the only way they're gonna get it - is by taking it from you. They do it every single day to guys just like you and me. A residential security container for your ammo is a worthy investment, just like a gun "safe" is a no brainer if you value your collection and your community's safety.

- Gringo

OldBlueMan 02-04-2013 10:10 PM

Lock it someplace which would otherwise be innocuous or unexpected.

We have a huge lateral filing cabinet which is used for keeping household paperwork, mostly. I don't keep weapons there, but no one would expect to look for ammo in a file cabinet like that.

My wife's grandparents had a custom-built house with a secret compartment in the kitchen, for similar reasons. Thieves target high-value rooms and usually a kitchen never makes that list.

vmwerks 02-04-2013 11:07 PM

I store ammo in my house - come in and try to take it, I'll shoot you until my hand get sore.

phdo 02-05-2013 1:07 AM

Store it in the bad guy trying to take them.

ThemBastards 02-13-2013 2:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phdo (Post 10430580)
Store it in the bad guy trying to take them.

Just saw this. :punk:

Darklyte27 02-13-2013 6:18 PM

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...gry=Search+All

Coworker got the 3 of the 199$ one for his preps and ammo. I ended up getting one too for now.

its just small enough for one to lug around empty. buy 2 of the same locks, look at the instructions for size.