Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   California handguns (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   So I have a list of 9mm's that I am looking for (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=689266)

ThemBastards 01-26-2013 11:39 PM

So I have a list of 9mm's that I am looking for

I would prefer something I can use as single action and of steel construction but I have a few on here that do not comply with my preferred features. Are there other full size 9's I should be looking for? The Sig and Glock are kind of after thoughts but I thought I would throw them in. I really want something that is a light trigger, target style pistol. I don't care about concealability or too light of a trigger/ not optimally safe for every day carry. Your thoughts as always will be appreciated.

CZ 75B, Browning High Power, Beretta 92FS/M9, Taurus PT92 SS, 1911 style 9mm, SIG 226, Glock 17

Sgt. J Beezy 01-26-2013 11:43 PM

Sig 226...

I have a 2012 Exeter and have run minimum of 1000 rounds through it with absolutely no malfunctions.

With that being said, the fit and finish is... Absolutely beautiful.

Aside from my Nighthawk GRP Recon, it is also my most accurate gun.

Buy one and don't look back!!!

Get Some!!!

ThemBastards 01-26-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy (Post 10333619)
Sig 226...

I have a 2012 Exeter and have run minimum of 1000 rounds through it with absolutely no malfunctions.

With that being said, the fit and finish is... Absolutely beautiful.

Aside from my Nighthawk GRP Recon, it is also my most accurate gun.

Buy one and don't look back!!!

Get Some!!!

Thank you for the reply. I am trying to keep it closer to $500 than $1,000 for this purchase so the Sig may be a no go. Comparing it to a Nighthawk is quite helpful though in showing its value.

Ronin2 01-26-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThemBastards (Post 10333590)
I would prefer something I can use as single action and of steel construction but I have a few on here that do not comply with my preferred features. Are there other full size 9's I should be looking for? The Sig and Glock are kind of after thoughts but I thought I would throw them in. I really want something that is a light trigger, target style pistol. I don't care about concealability or too light of a trigger/ not optimally safe for every day carry. Your thoughts as always will be appreciated.

CZ 75B, Browning High Power, Beretta 92FS/M9, Taurus PT92 SS, 1911 style 9mm, SIG 226, Glock 17

All excellent firearms. I own CZ 75's, Browning P-35 Hi Power's, Glock 17/19 and SIG 226/228's and 1911 .45's.

Strictly, your requirements restrict you to the Browning and the 1911. IMHO, every comprehensive pistol collection should contain both. I would recommend the Hi-power as it is a hi-cap gun that is slightly more threatened than the 1911 from a gun control perspective. Get a nice Browning hi-power and a few hi-cap mag kits...you cant go wrong!

ThemBastards 01-27-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin2 (Post 10333715)
All excellent firearms. I own CZ 75's, Browning P-35 Hi Power's, Glock 17/19 and SIG 226/228's and 1911 .45's.

Strictly, your requirements restrict you to the Browning and the 1911. IMHO, every comprehensive pistol collection should contain both. I would recommend the Hi-power as it is a hi-cap gun that is slightly more threatened than the 1911 from a gun control perspective. Get a nice Browning hi-power and a few hi-cap mag kits...you cant go wrong!

I would love to, held my first High Power at the gun show in CM today. It felt right. I have a 1911 in .45 and it feels right too. BHP's are expensive but if I am looking for THE 9mm that is my first choice. Unfortunately in this market I may need to look for a more affordable option- which is why I am asking for advice. By shooting IN SA the Beretta and Taurus I CAN shoot in SA so they are in my list and they are a little more affordable than the Browning. High Powers man. If you see this what is the Browning P-35? is that different?

Ronin2 01-27-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThemBastards (Post 10333819)
I would love to, held my first High Power at the gun show in CM today. It felt right. I have a 1911 in .45 and it feels right too. BHP's are expensive but if I am looking for THE 9mm that is my first choice. Unfortunately in this market I may need to look for a more affordable option- which is why I am asking for advice. By shooting IN SA the Beretta and Taurus I CAN shoot in SA so they are in my list and they are a little more affordable than the Browning. High Powers man. If you see this what is the Browning P-35? is that different?

P-35 is the model name/number that Browning gave the gun when it introduced it around 1935. It was given the nickname "hi-power" because it was the first widely produced pistol with a staggered hi cap magazine.

BTW... you can shoot a CZ, 92 FS and PT 92 single action but they are not "single action" pistols per your requirement. Glock is technically "Glock action" The Beretta is an alloy framed gun as is the SIG and the Glock, well...

Bullcoop 01-27-2013 12:21 AM

My $.02
The 226 is the obvious front runner, but if its too pricey the CZ and 92fs are great sidearms. Shoot both, if possible. I have a 92fs and love it, I also have a Sig220 and love it. Heard a lot of good about the CZs.

Ronin2 01-27-2013 12:39 AM

I suggest you save your money and buy what you want.You will enjoy it more.

ThemBastards 01-27-2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin2 (Post 10333854)
P-35 is the model name/number that Browning gave the gun when it introduced it around 1935. It was given the nickname "hi-power" because it was the first widely produced pistol with a staggered hi cap magazine.

BTW... you can shoot a CZ, 92 FS and PT 92 single action but they are not "single action" pistols per your requirement. Glock is technically "Glock action" The Beretta is an alloy framed gun as is the SIG and the Glock, well...

Yeah that is why I italicized the use part. Thanks for the info. I will keep my eyes open for all of the above. The Sig is getting a lot of love, may need to save up.

Bizcuits 01-27-2013 12:59 AM

I always push friends to Glock's.

#1, they're cheap. You can grab a police trade in or lightly used one for $400-500. If its your first gun its best not to break your bank. You may not like it later on. I actually got into XD's first and grew to hate them in time.

#2, they're simple. Something like a 1911, is a little more difficult to field strip. Xd's and sigs are simple too, but SIGS are way to pricey for a first gun in my opinion. (I own two now). I often refer to Glock's as plug and play interfaces. You load em, you shoot em. Nothing else to worry about.

#3, they're proven.

I have owned XD's, 1911's, Sigs, Glocks, S&W's... From 9mm, .45, & .38 super. The only guns I still have are my Sigs and my Glocks.

Ultimately get what you want. It's your gun and your the shooter. Be comfortable with what you get, make sure it doesn't break your bank and you can hit what you need to with it.

My preference is just that, my preference.

dc2integra 01-27-2013 1:13 AM

Id go with the beretta 92 fs.Its super accurate,reliable and easy to field strip.

BoJackUSMC 01-27-2013 3:37 AM

Save your money and buy something that you want... you will be happy.

Oceanbob 01-27-2013 5:45 AM

I've owned and shot most; except the Taurus which I am not fond of.

I love my Browning Hi Power but they might be out of your budget.

I would just get myself a Glock 35 in .40 and a 9MM conversion barrel. Same platform and it runs and runs and runs. (or just a G34).

These two are the King of Gun Games for a reason.

They won't break the bank and they have an incredible number of do it yourself (drop in) modifications to suit your needs.

Coming home thru the bad part of town I would also prefer a G35 with some Underwood SD ammo. So this platform will do multiple tasks for you.

Add in that you can always sell a GLOCK for about the same as you bought it for. Try that will a scratched up Taurus.....(I kidd, I kidd).....;)

AdamVIP 01-27-2013 5:56 AM

How about a cz sp01. I those are supposed to be great range pistols. All metal full sized 9mm with a hammer so you can shoot sa when you want?

Ronin2 01-27-2013 6:07 AM

You can get a Glock 3 lb trigger installed in a Glock pistol with relative ease.

JWHuey 01-27-2013 6:59 AM

You should consider an FNP9,I have one that I traded a Gen 3 Glock 17 for and its the best decision I ever made. No regrets whatsoever, it fits my hand perfectly and is super accurate. I own a Sig (German P220 that I bought new in 1992 when I turned 21) and two other Glocks (G23&G20 full size)and they are all fine firearms to be sure. The FNP fits your single action requirement,and functions much like a Sig with the slide release/decocker reversed. Its LIGHT,has been super reliable for me(not one issue shooting crappy lead realoads/WWB/blazers/up to +p+ 124 gr golden sabers). Well worth adding to your list of considerations IMHO. Also in the price range you mentioned. The downside is that you would have to get a used one as they are discontinued. That said,I got mine used and its AWESOME!

Whatisthis? 01-27-2013 7:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oceanbob (Post 10334805)

I would just get myself a Glock 35 in .40 and a 9MM conversion barrel. Same platform and it runs and runs and runs. (or just a G34).

They won't break the bank and they have an incredible number of do it yourself (drop in) modifications to suit your needs.

Coming home thru the bad part of town I would also prefer a G35 with some Underwood SD ammo. So this platform will do multiple tasks for you.

Add in that you can always sell a GLOCK for about the same as you bought it for. Try that will a scratched up Taurus.....(I kidd, I kidd).....;)

This. Any glock is awesome. If you want a competition trigger, ZevTech makes a nice kit for Glocks. All of $25 I think and easy to install.

CzechSF 01-27-2013 8:06 AM

If you want to keep it closer to $500 the cz 75 or glock is the cheapest. Not sure what its called but with the glock you can shoot it with that shorter reset and its kinda like single action if you dont let the trigger reset all the way. I vote for cz 75b or 75bd.

Blue Ridge Reef 01-27-2013 8:07 AM

If you want a steel gun, a Glock isn't going to scratch that itch. I like Glocks, and especially the 9s. But I have also learned, if you do not get exactly what you wanted, you will not be satisfied.

SouperMan 01-27-2013 9:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThemBastards (Post 10333646)
Thank you for the reply. I am trying to keep it closer to $500 than $1,000 for this purchase so the Sig may be a no go. Comparing it to a Nighthawk is quite helpful though in showing its value.

Don't rule out the $1K Sig Sauer! There are plenty of used and Certified Pre-Owned Sig Sauers that can be had for well under $1K.

Have you considered the Sig P228 or Law Enforcement Trade-in Glocks? Or did you want to buy new?

bsg 01-27-2013 9:47 AM

as has been suggested, get the one you really want; save a bit if you need to. whatever you choose, be good with it. don't put yourself in a 'woulda-coulda-shoulda' mindset after the purchase. so, choose wisely.

berg 01-27-2013 9:48 AM

Quote:

What does the bold part mean? Do you want it Single Action Only (SAO) or single action/double action (SA/DA)?

ThemBastards 01-27-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berg (Post 10336096)
What does the bold part mean? Do you want it Single Action Only (SAO) or single action/double action (SA/DA)?

Something that is either SAO or DA/SA that has a hammer that can be cocked manually.

Great advice everyone. I just wish I could shoot them all before buy one, I think if I buy any of those on the list I will be happy with it.

tbc 01-27-2013 10:14 AM

Based on your criteria, G17 is the best candidate...if you want to buy it now.

The price of a CZ just bumped to $2,000 according the Marketplace and GunBroker. Hehehe.

I personally would get the P226 or BHP instead. Wait for the insane market to subside and by that time you have some cash saved up and get what you really want.

Good luck.

Sent from iPhone through Tapatalk

JWHuey 01-27-2013 10:27 AM

Try it

ThemBastards,if you're ever in the San Diego area you are welcome to shoot my FNP.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThemBastards (Post 10336276)
Something that is either SAO or DA/SA that has a hammer that can be cocked manually.

Great advice everyone. I just wish I could shoot them all before buy one, I think if I buy any of those on the list I will be happy with it.

Sam 01-27-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oceanbob (Post 10334805)

I will admit that the Glock trigger doesn't have the same knee weakening feeling as a finely tuned 1911, but with a minus connector and a polish job (using a gen3 trigger bar), the trigger feels great, is smooth, and is an overall very effective trigger system.

MrBAD 01-27-2013 11:06 AM

I have a 92fs and would never get rid of it.

miggyv 01-27-2013 11:36 AM

CZ 75-SP01. Can be used as a single-action, all steel construction, very ergonomic and not as expensive as a Sig. The SP-01 is great for target shooting and after some tuning, great for competition. It is ideal for home defense as well. Good luck finding one in this market though!

Mr. Gillious 01-27-2013 11:45 AM

Don't be a fool

get the cz75B

67goat 01-27-2013 11:49 AM

The benefit that a CZ and Beretta have over most DA/SA guns is that they have a thumb safety so they could be carried in SA ready mode. The CZ placement is similar to a 1911 so it can be used more easily without affecting grip.

If it is strictly for range shooting, pick the one that fits your hand and shooting style best.

Lumpia is sarap! 01-27-2013 11:52 AM

You need to go to a rental shooting range. Try before you buy!

Apec 01-27-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67goat (Post 10337183)
The benefit that a CZ and Beretta have over most DA/SA guns is that they have a thumb safety so they could be carried in SA ready mode. The CZ placement is similar to a 1911 so it can be used more easily without affecting grip.

If it is strictly for range shooting, pick the one that fits your hand and shooting style best.

You can't carry cocked and locked with a Beretta 92FS. The safety decocks when engaged.

Mani226 01-27-2013 12:23 PM

HK USPs if you want to carry cocked and locked.

Squidward 01-27-2013 1:31 PM

I have experience with everything on your list except the Taurus. Nearly all of the handguns I own are Glocks. The sigs are great but I wanted something different and while I liked the CZ sp01, I liked the Hi Power more.

Just looking at fit and finish alone, It really is worth the extra cost.

67goat 01-27-2013 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apec (Post 10337280)
You can't carry cocked and locked with a Beretta 92FS. The safety decocks when engaged.

You're right. I forgot about that.

bsg 01-28-2013 12:34 AM

despite their differences, my personal choices are the w german Sig P226 and Gen 2 G17; i prefer early examples of both these handguns, with no dislike for other variants. while they are full sized combat handguns that are also pleasant range companions with accuracy that is not a weakness, they are both known for reliability... and reliability expands the roles they can competently function in. imho, the handgun platform employed as your primary range gun best serves as being the platform of your primary defensive handgun, as well. even if the purchase of one of these handguns is for 'occasional' range shooting, either can competently transition to the more serious role of defensive duty.

Iknownot 01-28-2013 9:09 AM

Quote:

I have tried everything on your list at one point or another and IMO, the High Power, is the best of the bunch if you are really looking for 9mm and steel framed.

Your only issue is that you are looking at spending $600-800 for one used and more than that new.

It's worth the extra $, IMO.

Of course, all of these things are subjective and you may find you actually like one of the others on your list better when you actually go out and try them at a range.

For me though, I'd go with the High power for 9mm, every time, if I had the choice.

(as always, find a range near you with rentals and try these out to see which you like best before buying).

SdBoltz 01-28-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Do yourself a favor and hit a gun range and rent a few of those weapons and test them out.

Or do yourself a bigger favor and just go buy a CZ SP-01 and you'll wonder why the hell you even considered another gun. All steel contruction. Hardly any recoil. EXTREMELY accurate. and thats straight out the box before you break it in.

J.D.Allen 01-28-2013 10:35 AM

One word. CZ 75B SA. Trust me.

whipkiller 01-28-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamVIP (Post 10334820)
How about a cz sp01. I those are supposed to be great range pistols. All metal full sized 9mm with a hammer so you can shoot sa when you want?

This is the hands down winner for me... My absolute favorite cuz' it makes me look good.

Good luck finding one. If you find one buy it, don't think about it cuz' it'll be gone.