-   California handguns (
-   -   Gotta buy another AR Lower now and mad (

m200maker 01-24-2013 9:32 PM

Gotta buy another AR Lower now and mad
Kinda mad I have to buy another AR lower. I just picked up my fourth lower a couple of weeks ago. When I went to do my paperwork I told the guy I wanted to register it as a pistol. He told me that I couldn't do that in Ca. I just kinda f'd it off and did the long gun paperwork instead of arguing with him. I had already been waiting 6 months for Spikes to ship. This was going to be my last AR as I planned a long time ago to start building bolt guns. Don't let my screen name deceive you. I don't know much about building them yet. Anyhow, I think I am going to print this and bring it to him this weekend. please discuss if you have some insight on this. Thanks, m.

JeremyS 01-24-2013 9:43 PM

You can't DROS just the frame of any pistol in California. That's your problem. You can't do a safe handling demonstration and it doesn't have a defined caliber, and blah blah. You can do it as a long gun, but not a handgun. Same would apply if you tried to buy just a Glock frame or a 1911 frame or whatever. The only way to get around this is via PPT. It has nothing to do with the fact that it's an AR receiver. It's a handgun, and that makes DROS on a bare frame impossible.

Another reason I've enjoyed this move to WA. AR receivers are put on your 4473 as "other." They are neither handgun nor long gun. You are welcome to build it into either.

Obviously a Plant 01-24-2013 10:45 PM

If you want a pistol lower, PPT it or make it. Might be one for sale here (you still have 2 kidneys, yes?)
Lots of threads about building them, just save-up a few hundred for an 80% and read, read, read. Oh yeah, hurry up!

CrippledPidgeon 01-24-2013 11:19 PM

BTW, IIRC, registered pistols can be turned into rifles, but not the other way around. You may have unwittingly screwed yourself by registering it as a long arm receiver.

Obviously a Plant 01-24-2013 11:26 PM

No FFL can sell a civilian a pistol marked lower that isn't on the roster.
No pistol marked lowers on the roster.
PPT or 80% or an illegal SBR, so only 2 options really...

redcliff 01-25-2013 12:36 AM

Or buy a single shot exempt AR pistol already assembled.

Oceanbob 01-25-2013 5:48 AM

Another idea if you have vertical relatives that live out of State. (Grandparents, parents, adult children)

Have them GIFT a complete AR Pistol to you and send it to your FFL with a GIFT letter. Gifts from out of State vertical relatives are EXEMPT from the handgun roster.

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.