Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Survival and Preparations (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=297)
-   -   Stashing Firearms and Ammo (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=681050)

BOOGIEMAN 01-17-2013 8:33 AM

Stashing Firearms and Ammo

:rolleyes:
I am thinking of stashing firearms and ammo in my BOL by burying them. What would be the best way of doing it? Can I just wrap it in plastic and put it in a sealed container and then bury it or do I have to cover the firearms with some kind of grease or something?

paul0660 01-17-2013 8:40 AM

Glued pvc or abs pipe. Dessicant, and oil the guns like you would use them. If you are storing surplus ammo or cheap Russian new ammo, make sure it works.

Decoligny 01-17-2013 8:41 AM

Clean and thoroughly lube the firearm.

Wrap firearm in clean cloth.

Place firearm into appropriate length/diameter piece of PVC pipe.

Drop in several packets of dessicant. This will suck the moisture from the air inside the sealed PVC pipe.

Drop in several "oxygen absorbers". Rust is oxidation. No oxygen, no rust.

Using the appropriate PVC glue, attach end caps to PVC pipe.

Bury in ground where you will be able to find it later, but nobody else will stumble across it.

Store ammo in same manner in seperate PVC pipe but leave out the oxygen absorbers. Not sure how the powder will react to a no oxygen environment for a long period of time.

BOOGIEMAN 01-17-2013 8:50 AM

Yes sir! Thanks PAUL0660 and DECOLIGNY for your input. I am going to Homedepot right now to buy materials.

winnre 01-17-2013 8:53 AM

Bury deep or satellites can see the temperature differences. I know Customs finds drugs with thermal imagery. Anything that is nearer the surface and is not ground temperature can show up.

paul0660 01-17-2013 8:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnre (Post 10233750)
Bury deep or satellites can see the temperature differences. I know Customs finds drugs with thermal imagery. Anything that is nearer the surface and is not ground temperature can show up.

I think pretty much anything in the ground for a few days is ground temp. There may be other methods to find buried stuff.

I like the idea of using a post hole digger and burying the container vertically.

BOOGIEMAN 01-17-2013 9:01 AM

Thanks winnre! I also need to buy extra cleaning kit to put away. Wish that the field kits and spare parts that is backordered would arrive already,

Sunday 01-17-2013 12:44 PM

No one will use their guns when SHTF . Look at the posted reactions now when there is talk of confiscation.

rberger2_99 01-17-2013 12:48 PM

I do agree with the recommendations on prep to inhibit rust, however, you may want to consider not gluing the ends of the PVC. How will you open it when SHTF??

Rather, prep the firearm, and seal it up in a food saver bag (with a descant and O2 absorber). When you need it, you won't need tools to open the pipe, only a knife to cut the food saver bag.

xgi1991 01-17-2013 1:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rberger2_99 (Post 10235776)
I do agree with the recommendations on prep to inhibit rust, however, you may want to consider not gluing the ends of the PVC. How will you open it when SHTF??

Rather, prep the firearm, and seal it up in a food saver bag (with a descant and O2 absorber). When you need it, you won't need tools to open the pipe, only a knife to cut the food saver bag.

^this and the same with the ammo, you also might want to consider a Pelican case for the rifle instead of a PVC pipe, with 6 inch PVC you will have to remove the pistol grip off your AR/AK, 8 inch PVC is alot more expensive and by the time you buy all the parts to close it, you could have afforded a Pelican case. When you bury it, as you cammo up the spot, make sure to through some scrap metel around nails/screws what ever, anyone searching with a metel detector will find that stuff and keep moving

Decoligny 01-17-2013 1:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnre (Post 10233750)

The satellites pick up on the temperature difference in the TUNNELS used to smuggle drugs across the border. This is because the tunnels have people, lights, and other things that cause the tunnel to be a different temperature.

Leave the gun and the PVC outside for an hour and it will be the same temp as the ground. This time of year, probably colder.

Southwest Chuck 01-17-2013 3:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rberger2_99 (Post 10235776)

Naw......Glue / Seal that sucker up. then bury a hacksaw (broken down with extra blades) greased in a vacuumed food saver bag, next to it. :D

Chameleon Loco 01-17-2013 8:27 PM

There was a bank robber called the Friday night bank robber who hid his money firearms and other supplies in forests and creeks. He made over a few million and was on the run for over a decade before he was caught.

BOOGIEMAN 01-17-2013 8:38 PM

I think it won't hurt if I combine all of the above suggestions, I can use my wife's Foodsaver thingy, vacuum seal it. then put it inside PVC pipe with dessicants. Then stuff the PVC pipe inside long wooden munition box.

Tripper 01-17-2013 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xgi1991 (Post 10236139)
^this and the same with the ammo, you also might want to consider a Pelican case for the rifle instead of a PVC pipe, with 6 inch PVC you will have to remove the pistol grip off your AR/AK, 8 inch PVC is alot more expensive and by the time you buy all the parts to close it, you could have afforded a Pelican case. When you bury it, as you cammo up the spot, make sure to through some scrap metel around nails/screws what ever, anyone searching with a metel detector will find that stuff and keep moving

a box of steel shot shotgun shells, cut open and scattered, around the area

Tripper 01-17-2013 9:10 PM

get the clean out screw in things, i forget what they are actually called, you basically make it a screw top, its still air/water tight too, maybe put a pair of good size cheap pliers next to it.

but first, get a 6 inch pvc, dig the hole big enough for that, put the 6" into the hole, then insert the 4 inch inside the 6, otherwise you have to dig dang near the wholle thing back up to get it out in 10 years, once everything settles it doesnt just slide out of the ground by grabbing the top. increase the outer pvc for whatever pvc you use for the storage part.

I cant see PVC ever exceeding the cost of a rifle size pelican case. not to mention that makes it wider than a pvc. unless you buy it pre cut or something, buy it in 10 or 20 foot lengths and its fairly cheap, then cut to what you want

cheaper than dirt does have some burial grade ziplock type bags btw, but they are like 80 bucks for rifle size as I recall.

BOOGIEMAN 01-17-2013 10:23 PM

Thanks Tripper but not going to patronize CTD.

.22guy 01-17-2013 11:04 PM

This is a good read on the subject.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/wood115.html

the86d 01-18-2013 7:22 AM

I found this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarian (Post 7514752)
On the other hand, I think this bit is probably true:

If you think it's time to start burying guns, it's time to dig them up.

jbohon 01-18-2013 8:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOOGIEMAN (Post 10241614)
Thanks Tripper but not going to patronize CTD.

can you elaborate as to why not? :confused:

BOOGIEMAN 01-18-2013 8:15 AM

Thank you for the links VictorFranko and .22guy. I prefer the one with no paper trails and on the cheap side.

BOOGIEMAN 01-18-2013 9:13 AM

Oooooppppppsssss!!!!!!!!!

KevinB 01-18-2013 9:20 AM

False wall in the back of a closet.

Texture it, paint it and your done, all you need is about 4 in to stack things in.

Need your stuff in a hurry and just kick in the wall.

Pilgrims.

sully007 01-18-2013 9:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOOGIEMAN (Post 10233724)
Yes sir! Thanks PAUL0660 and DECOLIGNY for your input. I am going to Homedepot right now to buy materials.

Oh no, run on HD materials also!

ExAcHog 01-18-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripper (Post 10240844)
a box of steel shot shotgun shells, cut open and scattered, around the area

^^^^This is important!! Cache rule#4...Metal detectors are your enemy!
Toss a bunch #16 penny nails in the area and a handful of steel washers.

johnthomas 01-18-2013 11:19 AM

This is pretty long with lots of great information.
http://www.pssurvival.com/PS/Group_D...orage_2004.txt

steadyrock 01-18-2013 12:18 PM

I have occasionally wondered about the legality of doing this exact thing on public land. Assuming a legal but untraceable firearm such as a bent AK, can anyone comment on the legality of this in CA?

Lone_Gunman 01-18-2013 12:42 PM

There's one way I would bury a firearm that I wasn't going to need instant access to. I've thought a little bit about it, and this is what I've come up with, IDK if it would actually work. I would seperate the stock from the receiver etc, I would put the barreled action, bolt, any other metal parts into a 6" PVC tube with a glued cap on one end. I would then fill the tube with synthetic motor oil, filled as full as I could. Then glue a cap on the other end. Then I would insert that sealed pipe into either an 8" or 10" PVC pipe with a glued cap on one end. I would then fill that tube with silica gel, put a PVC saw in it, and cap the other end with a gasketed screw on cap.

It's probably total overkill, but I think it would work.

What do you guys think?

Lone_Gunman 01-18-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steadyrock (Post 10246489)
I have occasionally wondered about the legality of doing this exact thing on public land. Assuming a legal but untraceable firearm such as a bent AK, can anyone comment on the legality of this in CA?

Sounds pretty illegal to me. The rule of thumb I use is if its cool or fun it's probably illegal in California.

k1dude 01-18-2013 1:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbohon (Post 10244062)
can you elaborate as to why not? :confused:

They have been price gouging badly during this gun run - amongst the worst offenders. They are also very anti-California in their business practices - leaving gun owners in the state high and dry. They should be supporting us, not abandoning us. We live in occupied territory afterall. We are in effect, the resistance.

aznwolf118 01-18-2013 1:14 PM

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=304917

Read this link, I spoke to wingman31k at length and his system works, you have to put in your mind that your protecting an investment, be it firearms, ammo, or food storage.

Wingman31k actually will answer questions even though his thread is years old and he has tested it over time. Give him a shout on arf

stix213 01-18-2013 3:23 PM

What are some ideas on places to bury them?

Whoneedsafety? 01-18-2013 3:35 PM

The whole or should I say "hole" things seems like a STUPID IDEA.

paul0660 01-18-2013 3:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whoneedsafety? (Post 10248373)
The whole or should I say "hole" things seems like a STUPID IDEA.

Funny. Why do you say that? You ARE aware that if a temporary restraining order is filed against you you will lose your guns without a sniff at other due process?

Whoneedsafety? 01-18-2013 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul0660 (Post 10248463)
Funny. Why do you say that? You ARE aware that if a temporary restraining order is filed against you you will lose your guns without a sniff at other due process?

Maybe, but they need a warrant to enter my home. I have R-49 insulation in my attic, they don't own a metal detector big enough to find them.

I think the police arresting me, someone filing a report against me, or someone going to court would tip off they may be interested in my guns. In which case I take all my long arms, load them in my truck and park it in a trusted neighbor's drive way. Then I load my pistols into my safe, hide the key which de-activates the combo and claim it's empty.

steadyrock 01-18-2013 3:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul0660 (Post 10248463)

I could file a TRO against him with just a tiny bit of prodding. Especially now, with ban and confiscation bills running amok, not having backup arms is what seems like the stupid idea.

paul0660 01-18-2013 3:56 PM

So your complicated answer to paranoia is better than burying? They don't call you from Starbucks to let you know they are rolling over with a warrant.........I think.

Thank you for playing.

Whoneedsafety? 01-18-2013 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steadyrock (Post 10248561)
I could file a TRO against him with just a tiny bit of prodding. Especially now, with ban and confiscation bills running amok, not having backup arms is what seems like the stupid idea.

True! However you would need to show compelling evidence to get a RO. A TRO will not equal someone knocking on my door and taking my firearms.

Grizzled Bastard 01-18-2013 3:58 PM

Just an FYI, there are 2 excellent products for metal preservation during severe storage. One is called Eezox for guns, the other CorrosionX HD. They are like a modern day Cosmoline but it cleans up very easily when sprayed with CLP. Great to use in a marine environment, too.

Whoneedsafety? 01-18-2013 3:59 PM

I've been there done that! I kicked the sh*t out of a neighbor (he hit me with a beer bottle first) and had a TRO. I got a deputy at the door telling me to stay 500' away, which I stated was impossible since I live in SoCal and he lives next door. Basically it was a no contact order, which he later rescinded when his wife reminded him that he started and before the altercation I asked him to get out of my garage.