Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   California handguns (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Ruger p345 ejector problem (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=680898)

dre147 01-16-2013 11:07 PM

Ruger p345 ejector problem

I just acquired a p345 and it was real dirty when I got it, so while cleaning it I noticed the safety you have to push down on the top of the magwell not sure o he name of the part but its the piece of metal that stickes out and you have to push it down to field strip the gun. Well this piece seems loose when I push it down it pops back up and does not really lock open in place. Is this common? Made it pretty tough to strip and re assemble the gun.

What can I do about this?

Thanks in advance.

dre147 01-16-2013 11:11 PM

I have not shot it yet and not sure how this would affect its shooting

railroader 01-17-2013 4:48 AM

That's the ejector. It has a spring. Were you able to push it down so you could take the slide off? After you put the slide back on you can slide a mag in the magwell which will push the ejector back into place.

redhemi 01-17-2013 8:03 AM

Give Ruger a call even though your not the original owner they usually will fix it on their dime.

dre147 01-17-2013 9:02 AM

Ill call Ruger.

I was able to push it down but it just pops back up after messing with it a little I pushed it down then pushed it to the side a little and it stuck but was very sensitive just barely touching it or moving the pistol would cause it to pop back up. Was a real pain to get the slide off and then back on again.

After I got the slide back on, it just popped back up so no need to manually push it up

dre147 01-17-2013 10:31 AM

F*** i tried to take it apart again and when i took the pin out the slide shut and that ejector popped back up but now i cant even rack the slide back open or pull the ejector down thru the magwell anything i can do?

dre147 01-17-2013 10:45 AM

when this happened before I was able to still the rack the slide back and play with the ejector till it stuck down long enough to take the slide off, now I have no clue as why I cant rack the slide back....

dre147 01-17-2013 11:41 AM

Talked with ruger costs 35 to send it and may be charged 85 for repairs if it is not manufactures fault. They said most likely the ejector is stuck on firing pin block any way I can fix this myself??

dre147 01-17-2013 4:42 PM

Is there no way for me to fix this myself?

railroader 01-17-2013 6:20 PM

Put the slide stop back in and start over. Lock the slide back. Push the ejector forward and stick something in there so it can't come back up if you have to. Let the slide go forward and now take the slide stop out and take the slide off. I have a p97 which is similar to your gun but I can't look at until saturday to help you more.

dre147 01-17-2013 6:45 PM

Just tried that an couldnt get it all the way in because i couldn't pull the slide back at all to line it up with the groove in the slide so the slide stop could go all the way in also tried pulling down the ejector from the bottom and doesn't budge

dre147 01-17-2013 7:22 PM

Ok well after alot of work i finally got the slide off.
Now what do I have to replace to this does not happen again. Can I call Ruger and they can mail me the parts? Not sure what parts I need but ejector is too flimsy and wont stay down and just snaps back up and seems loose.

Is this most likely manufacturer problem or maybe from previous owner, I dont want to send it to Ruger and have them tell me its 85 $ to fix it plus the 35 $ shipping is kind of expensive. I would rather try to fix it myself (knowing what parts need replacing or pay another local calgunner to do it)

redhemi 01-18-2013 8:10 AM

First I'll say I'm surprised at what Ruger said about fixing the gun. Your first post said it was very dirty when you got it. Now that you have the slide off get some gun scrubber spray and saturate the parts in the ejector, sear area. Let it soak a few then if you have access to air compressor blow out a much as you can (wear safety glasses) if you don't have access to a compressor buy a can of compressed air and use that. It sounds like you might have some dirt stuck in there. If this is not the problem it could be (because you said it felt loose) either the ejector, ejector pin or the sear could be worn so it will not stay in place. These parts you can get from Ruger.

Do you have a manuel? if not you can down load it off of Rugers website. All I can do is guess without looking at the gun. Good luck I hope you can fix it.

dre147 01-18-2013 9:14 AM

Thanks man I do haverhe manuel and think the ejector is too worn out becuase when I cleaned it scrubbed the helpp out of it but its a good idea to do what u said with the air and I will do that. i am going to call Ruer again today and tell them I got the slide off and if its possible for them to send me the parts for a worn or loose ejector I hope its just that that needs replacing I think its part 46 43 and 41, ejector, sear, and blocker level. Where it makes contact on the right side seems like it just wont lock in it just barely rubs on it and slips. I imagine Ruger has heard if this before and should be able to tell me whats wrong withiut seing it, they know what it was when I fold the the slide locked up...

redhemi 01-18-2013 10:44 AM

Don't forget to ask for new pins also.

dre147 01-18-2013 12:05 PM

So I called them again they still want me to send it in im not risking paying 115$ for something I could probaby fix myself. Cant say im very happy with the Ruger customer service right now. Maybe im expectiing too much but from their reputation on customer service this does not seem like too much to ask for.
She insisted that there is probably damage done to other parts from the slide getting stuck, I honestly dont think so, because it was just the ejector stuck a round button that pops in from the slide I believe its firing pin block

dre147 01-18-2013 12:20 PM

Anyone know of a good gunsmith around the Gardena Torrance area?

Ruger quoted me 85$ to fix the problem, when online they say a repair is 35$....something im missing?

jdmacl 01-18-2013 1:09 PM

I've always had good luck with Ruger CS.

Having said that, have you looked online? It seems most, if not all, of those parts you want are available online on their website. I just ordered some parts for my KP944.

dre147 01-18-2013 1:19 PM

cant get a blocker lever online but they do have the ejector and springs, just no blocker lever, I would send it in for the 35$ just dont want them telling me its gonna be 85$ on top of the 35$ to fix cuz its not a manufacturer problem. for 35$ I would but 120$ kinda sucks

Rob454 01-19-2013 6:05 AM

I sent a P85 in for a recall. I wanted the slide re blued and it was gonna cost $85. I sent it in the gun came back repaired and they wrote n/c on the receipt where they listed reblue slide in the parts/repair section. I basically got back a brand new gun

dre147 01-19-2013 10:01 AM

How long ago was that? Where you the original owner? They mentioned the 85 would cover any small parts and labor, if they replace all small parts its worth it but to replace a 6$ ejector and the bocker lver camt be much more than that and some springs 85 +35 seems pretty steep.

dre147 01-19-2013 10:03 AM

But i do feel this problem is due to the manufacurer not user based any opinions on that? How common is it for the ejector to fail on these p series?

dre147 01-19-2013 2:44 PM

Thanks for the replies I spoke with Ruger already, once when the slide was stuck and then after I finally got it off. They said to send it in and it will cost me $35 to send it in and if its user error would cost another 85$. And they will ship it back for free. I also heard great things about their customer service, thats why im kind of surprised this could end up costing so much for what seems to me not muh work at all. Now my problem is not the slide stuck anymore its the ejector wont stay down when you push it down.

dre147 01-20-2013 10:58 PM

@tygshd did u pay for the shipping to them? And did they mention if it was user error there would be a charge?

Rob454 01-21-2013 3:40 AM

My repair was a few years back. i was not the original owner. The gun is now owned by a buddy of mine. Look at it this way even if it costs you $120 to have the gun looked over/repaired its gonna be by the factory gunsmith. A local gunsmith is probably gonna cost you about the same by the time you are done with parts etc. Most likely that may not be the only worn thing on the gun. And if they find its not user error they wont charge you.

dre147 01-21-2013 10:35 AM

Ya Im just gonna send it in and hope they dont bill me for it because I feel it really is the pistol and not the previous owner thanks everyone for the replies maybe they will even blue it for me cuz its pretty worn!

dre147 01-23-2013 9:27 PM

They said they can send me the pre paid sticker but its gonna cost me 35$ Is there something I said wrong to them? Maybe I should tell them its the hammer pivot pin and say the ejector is fixed and when they test fire it they will see its screwed up and fix it

dre147 01-25-2013 10:58 AM

Ok so they are sending me the postage not sure if I will be charged for it yet, told me they wont blue the slide for the 85 thats another 110 the 85 is a refurbishing fee an I will only be charged this fee if it is due to wear from use and said I would probably be charged this because the gun is over 2 yrs old but 2 yrs old isnt old at all so this is kind of frustrating but Ill see what they say once they evaluate it. I just cant justify 85 for a couple 6-10 dollar parts and gunsmithing which is just popping out a couple pins...

dre147 02-08-2013 9:25 PM

Turned out great they fixed it in one day whole thing took 3 days sending there to receiving it back here. They replaced blocker lever and sear and said repaired barrel but barrel looks new from the inside the the crown seems much different they said they fired 30 rds ad no problem and i was never charged a dime. Im am very happy with their CS!!!

redhemi 02-08-2013 11:39 PM

Glad to hear Ruger fixed the gun at no charge. This is one of the reasons I own Rugers.