Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Bought it in '92 but moved here in 2002 - on the ban list - can I bring it here? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=677773)

KPSFO 01-13-2013 1:06 AM

Bought it in '92 but moved here in 2002 - on the ban list - can I bring it here?

So I left two firearms in CT, one a Colt AR-15 HBAR, when I moved here, because both were on the ban list. Last Thanksgiving, I stripped it down and threw everything but the lower in the mail. Cleaned and oiled up the lower and it's in a freezer bag in my mom's attic in CT now. I figured I could pick up a good lower pretty easily for it after Christmas and I had plane tickets and presents to buy, so, stupid me, I deferred buying a replacement lower.

Yesterday I had a discussion with a guy working in a local gun store and he commented that since the gun was purchased in '92, the fact that I bought it prior to moving here might - MIGHT - be immaterial - that it might either be outright legal for me to own it as is, or that CA DOJ might have a method to re-register it.

If that's true, the AKS might be legal as well, since I purchased it in '88 and actually lived in CA with it while stationed here in 1989.

Anyone have any experience on this front? Any clarification anyone could offer on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

submaniac 01-13-2013 1:10 AM

Uhhh...as far as I know, that's a negative ghostrider.

If you are not on the assault weapons list, they won't open it for you. It's banned by name.

Jackson_DKMG 01-13-2013 1:34 AM

it has to be registered for you to bring it into the state, otherwise it's a no go.

Merc1138 01-13-2013 1:44 AM

Wouldn't be legal to bring back unless you registered it.

If you did register it, you wouldn't need to be asking this question. If you didn't register it, you can't now.

Strip it, sell the lower, re-assemble with a new lower then you're fine. Or just sell the whole thing to someone for an absolutely ridiculous price and then buy something else later.

BBB114 01-13-2013 6:31 AM

AR

Dont have legal discussions with employees of your local gun store.......

Jyruiz 01-13-2013 6:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merc1138 (Post 10196065)

Strip it, sell the lower, re-assemble with a new lower then you're fine. Or just sell the whole thing to someone for an absolutely ridiculous price and then buy something else later.

^^^^This.

INCINR8 01-13-2013 6:46 AM

Nope.

brianm767 01-13-2013 7:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBB114 (Post 10196486)
Dont have legal discussions with employees of your local gun store.......

This......
I've found the worst place to get accurate gun law information is from the local gun shop and from LEO.

Sorry as mentioned since it wasn't registered in Cali prior to 2000 its a no go, ether sale it and buy a Cali legal rifle or swap out the lower ( you can trade your Colt for a OLL and probably a bit of cash)
and install a BB.

KPSFO 01-13-2013 9:37 AM

Okay, I'm glad I posted - LOL on the gun store employee responses - I figured I was doomed to leave the AKS in CT and I guess I'll just have to wait until all the craziness blows over to get a reasonably-priced lower for the AR . . . for a moment I thought maybe I'd missed something and caught a lucky break. Ah well . . .

Heretodaygonetomorrow 01-13-2013 12:03 PM

You could rebuild the gun with an OLL, and save/store the original Lower Reciever in CT, but you might find the the complete rifle will sell to in one of the Ban States for much more money (much more money that it would cost to build a new new CA Legal gun) then just the Lower Receiver would.

It would probably pay to do a little research, and see how much your Pre-Ban Lower Receiver is worth VS the complete Pre-Ban gun in States like NY, and NJ where the Ban is still in place, but buying and selling of Pre-Ban Lower Receivers and complete guns is still allowed.

Then, you would have a boat load of money, and be free to build an new gun with a OLL and an upper with whatever features you want.

TANK1135 01-14-2013 3:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPSFO (Post 10197663)
Okay, I'm glad I posted - LOL on the gun store employee responses - I figured I was doomed to leave the AKS in CT and I guess I'll just have to wait until all the craziness blows over to get a reasonably-priced lower for the AR . . . for a moment I thought maybe I'd missed something and caught a lucky break. Ah well . . .

Make sure the AK is not banned by name.

KPSFO 01-15-2013 3:35 PM

It's got PolyTech stamped right on it -- it's relegated to being my Mom's Coyote gun in CT, if it doesn't break her shoulder . . .

KPSFO 01-15-2013 3:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heretodaygonetomorrow (Post 10198751)
You could rebuild the gun with an OLL, and save/store the original Lower Reciever in CT, but you might find the the complete rifle will sell to in one of the Ban States for much more money (much more money that it would cost to build a new new CA Legal gun) then just the Lower Receiver would.

It would probably pay to do a little research, and see how much your Pre-Ban Lower Receiver is worth VS the complete Pre-Ban gun in States like NY, and NJ where the Ban is still in place, but buying and selling of Pre-Ban Lower Receivers and complete guns is still allowed.

Then, you would have a boat load of money, and be free to build an new gun with a OLL and an upper with whatever features you want.

I thought about that - just difficult because I'm here and I'm not likely to go back for a bit. Also, since the rifle was purchased in VA, then taken to NY after I left the Navy, then stored in CT - I'm not sure what hoops I'd have to jump through as far as registration goes - especially since I'm now a CA resident.

I suppose I couuld make some bank right now if I mailed all the parts back and tried to sell it at a gun show there. Tempting.