Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calgunners in Service (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Anyone here do Counter-Drug? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=677580)

SGT Loco 01-12-2013 5:41 PM

Anyone here do Counter-Drug?

I'm planning on dropping a couple packets for the California Guards Counter Drug Task Force here soon. I've only found a couple of people in my unit that have done it, and they had positive things to say, but that was awhile back and I didn't get any specifics. Reliable information seems scarce, so I figured I'd come here, to the repository of all knowledge.

So, anybody here have any experience with this stuff? If so, what did you think? Any advice? Warnings? Funny stories? :)

epilepticninja 01-12-2013 6:32 PM

I'm strictly over-the-counter drugs. Sorry.

NiteQwill 01-12-2013 7:45 PM

Not me, but a buddy who spent 7 years in the Guard before going back active said he loved it. Could be dangerous (burning WELL PROTECTED crops up north) if you're looking for that.

Trapper 01-12-2013 9:55 PM

In '93 I flew down to Panama for four months of counter narcotics operations. Some of the best liberty in my 20yr career was in Central America! Fantastic seafood, great music, world class fishing, and we found some drugs ;-)

Matt1984 01-13-2013 1:51 PM

A lot of guys in my unit do counter drug, you have to have a specific MOS to do it and you I think its only for a year, but you can re apply

navycorpsman 01-13-2013 1:56 PM

I did non-complient Drug boarding in the Horn of Africa and it was awesome chasing pirates and drug smugglers. Got in some sticky situation but had great guys. I know it probley not the info you want since I was Navy but I know nothing about army or guard

CrazyCobraManTim 01-14-2013 2:09 PM

All this worldwide deployment......Don't they still do local enforcement too? Here in ANF and CNF areas of So Cal?? I was asking around to see about the same for some reserve soldiers interested in doing CANG support missions.

jmsenk 01-14-2013 5:24 PM

My experience is from Honduras - which was a blast. The Hondos sure know how to **** **** up. As far as CAARNG Counter Drug, all I have to go on is second hand, but that is all positive, and I hear that there are as many slots for signals intel, commo, and support positions as there are for door kickers and face shooters.

CHECOV9x19 01-14-2013 7:11 PM

My buddy did counter drug near some beach in socal. Some Army SF Sgt. was in charge of them while they watched some high tech motion sensor cameras 15 or so miles off the coast. They said they saw some activity but it wasnt all high speed operator type work.
The gig is good if you are getting per diem, BAH, and BAS.

blap59 01-16-2013 9:39 AM

I think you have to be a 31, 11, and *maybe* 19 series to get on the TF. Not sure about support roles. I was told to apply, but wasn't guaranteed a release from the Reserves to go NG.

Sounds like nothing but a blast, and there are opportunities for schools like Air Assault that you might not get as a regular NG MP.

Matt1984 01-16-2013 9:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blap59 (Post 10226935)
I think you have to be a 31, 11, and *maybe* 19 series to get on the TF. Not sure about support roles. I was told to apply, but wasn't guaranteed a release from the Reserves to go NG.

Sounds like nothing but a blast, and there are opportunities for schools like Air Assault that you might not get as a regular NG MP.

In the ca ng they do not take a lot of 31 and 11 series for this tf anymore. They also have nearly nixed any reserve involvement the majority of roles that have openings is for 35 series and if you want info go to the ca ng website and look at the job opportunities

Sent from my singars radio

winnre 01-16-2013 9:47 AM

I worked with the Joint Task Forces, JTF-6 along the US/Mexico Border and JTF Grizzly inside California. There was JTF Northstar along the Canadian border too. I am sure these have all been renamed since this was in the late 90s.

You can PM me with any questions.

Stockton 01-16-2013 10:04 AM

Show up fit and ready to pass APFT beyond standard. Alpha males only. Be proficient at all Level 1 tasks. Be prepared to be called out if you run your mouth like jack hole. Once you're in your in and only you can screw it up. Don't be delusional about who you are or what you'll do.

You planning on going north or south?

SGT Loco 01-16-2013 6:09 PM

Thanks for the replies guys! Interesting stuff :)

Still waiting on one last piece of paper work, but I hope to drop the packets this weekend. Fingers crossed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stockton (Post 10227217)
Show up fit and ready to pass APFT beyond standard. Alpha males only. Be proficient at all Level 1 tasks. Be prepared to be called out if you run your mouth like jack hole. Once you're in your in and only you can screw it up. Don't be delusional about who you are or what you'll do.

You planning on going north or south?

I've got all those bases covered- I'm fresh off deployment, and probably in the best shape I've ever been in. All of the positions I'm interested right now in are south- SD and Santa Barbara areas (score!).

Quote:

None of the position listing have MOS requirements.

Hoot11 01-17-2013 6:33 AM

Keep us posted.

laabstract 01-17-2013 3:53 PM

Let me know I might be interested as well.

Trenchfoot 01-17-2013 7:15 PM

I did counter narco in Colombia. I think the thing I got most out of it was that you can't believe what TV says about the Colombian military and police. Sure there are some bad guys, but most seem to really love their country and appreciate all the help they get from America.

Just doing what they do puts a price on their heads from the cartels. It would be really easy for them to use their training and knowledge to help the cartels and make 5x what they make from the gov't, but they come back everyday trying to make a difference for their country and families. God bless those guys.

thehummerguy 01-18-2013 1:19 PM

anyone in a CA Guard unit can be in CD, Just depends if they have a Fulltime/Partime Position for it....We have/Had CD at my Aviation Unit for over 20yrs...still going today, lots of Mechanics, MP's,Infantry etc...Just depends on the unit.
Seems they always were running out fo Money....

iddie 01-18-2013 6:34 PM

let me know if you have any questions about it and i can try asking my buddy who is on it right now..

SGT Loco 01-18-2013 8:17 PM

Does anyone know how long the application process takes? I'm still waiting for paperwork from my unit, but once I send in the packet what sort of time frame should I expect for a response, if any?

Matt1984 01-19-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGT Loco (Post 10251235)
Does anyone know how long the application process takes? I'm still waiting for paperwork from my unit, but once I send in the packet what sort of time frame should I expect for a response, if any?

It's a hot minute my guys in my unit submitted their paperwork like 3 months ago if you haven't heard anything back yet then it's probably to late I don't know what your mos is but for our guys they hAve to do an interview as well there are about 10 guys in my unit who do it

Sent from my singars radio

Tripper 01-19-2013 12:12 PM

did like 20 years ago

Tripper 01-19-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper (Post 10195038)
In '93 I flew down to Panama for four months of counter narcotics operations. Some of the best liberty in my 20yr career was in Central America! Fantastic seafood, great music, world class fishing, and we found some drugs ;-)

++100

winnre 01-19-2013 5:40 PM

Panama was my first duty station in 81-83. Ah, memories.

OIFVet03 02-12-2013 8:35 PM

I don't do it but I know a lot of people that do do it. I swear like half the peol in my old National Guard unit did it.

cfm117 03-24-2013 6:21 PM

Late to the thread but yes. Google JTF-6/JTF North

nico619 04-03-2013 2:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGT Loco (Post 10251235)

Hey Sgt how did you apply or get the packet? Do you have to go through your unit? Thanks

SGT Loco 04-04-2013 1:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nico619 (Post 10993515)
Hey Sgt how did you apply or get the packet? Do you have to go through your unit? Thanks

All of the application paperwork is available online on the calguard website, but there are things you will have to get from your unit, like a letter of validation from your commander, your APFT and RPAS, etc.

Still haven't heard anything, but the job I'm gunning for hasn't been filled yet either...

Matt1984 04-04-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGT Loco (Post 10997934)
All of the application paperwork is available online on the calguard website, but there are things you will have to get from your unit, like a letter of validation from your commander, your APFT and RPAS, etc.

Still haven't heard anything, but the job I'm gunning for hasn't been filled yet either...

A lot of cd spots won't be filled this year due to cuts. They are letting a lot of people's orders dry up this month, and not filling them. Rumor had it the guard's participation will be cut in half next fy.

Peter.Steele 04-10-2013 8:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navycorpsman (Post 10199617)
I did non-complient Drug boarding in the Horn of Africa and it was awesome chasing pirates and drug smugglers. Got in some sticky situation but had great guys. I know it probley not the info you want since I was Navy but I know nothing about army or guard

Not saying details, but let me tell you what: 5 rounds of VT-RF "expended for training, bore clear" makes one HELL of a warning shot, when someone "forgets" to program in the offset. :D

18Dmedic 04-11-2013 2:06 PM

I'm with 7th group and we do a lot of work in central and South America. Narcotics interdiction. Good stuff. Some NC-MIO, VBSS. Hunting narcotrafficantes...looking for drug subs, blowing up airstrips...good work but a lot of work to get in.

As long as you're a squared away guy, you'll be ok. Not sure about the guard but its a rewarding experience. And the perks are really good too. Good food, scuba diving, cross training, etc...you'll dig it.

Make sure your packet is complete and make sure you take care of your credit score and pay off any outstanding debts. Because they'll want to make sure you're not someone likely to accept a bribe.

Anyway, the rest is OPSEC PERSEC. But you get the basic picture. It's a fun assignment. Be prepared to travel on short notice too.