Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   500 S&w (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=673586)

gotglock99 01-07-2013 10:07 PM

500 S&w
 
1st time ever shooting a S&W 500 today. It was like when your getting on a crazy roller coaster ride and your all excited until you realize the big drop about to happen. Yea exactly the feeling. That is one powerful pistol.

nothinghere2c 01-07-2013 10:09 PM

sounds like a blast

NYT 01-07-2013 10:13 PM

I just kept thinking how much money each round costs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

gotglock99 01-07-2013 10:21 PM

Yea it was fun, to make matters worse my friend shot 4 rounds and opens the cylinder and spins it. Then he tells me don't anticipate when pulling the trigger. Really bro, that's where the roller coaster memory comes from. Hahah

CessnaDriver 01-07-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYT (Post 10143652)
I just kept thinking how much money each round costs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

People spend more on lesser thrills.

CGT80 01-08-2013 12:09 AM

I have shot about 10 rounds through a 500 S&W. I also shot a bunch of light loads, and about 30 full power loads, in a Ruger single action 44 mag. I have put thousands of rounds through my dad's Smith 38 spl. After all that, I decided that I needed/wanted a revolver, so I bought a...................460 Mag.

The 500 was fun, but I already loaded for 45 ACP and had components and gear for 45LC. 45 cal is also a bit more common when it comes to bullets. I didn't have to have the biggest, but I had to have the fastest (Smith's claims). Hand cannons are cool whether you shoot bunny fart loads or barrel burners. Mine range from 600 fps and 8 cents per round to a factory equivalent load that runs out of my gun at 1917 fps (240 grain hornady 240 xtp mag) and costs 70 cents each to reload. This one has never seen factory (overpriced) ammo.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/.../460270SAA.jpg

gotglock99 01-08-2013 10:16 AM

Nice!

NYT 01-08-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGT80 (Post 10144251)
I have shot about 10 rounds through a 500 S&W. I also shot a bunch of light loads, and about 30 full power loads, in a Ruger single action 44 mag. I have put thousands of rounds through my dad's Smith 38 spl. After all that, I decided that I needed/wanted a revolver, so I bought a...................460 Mag.

The 500 was fun, but I already loaded for 45 ACP and had components and gear for 45LC. 45 cal is also a bit more common when it comes to bullets. I didn't have to have the biggest, but I had to have the fastest (Smith's claims). Hand cannons are cool whether you shoot bunny fart loads or barrel burners. Mine range from 600 fps and 8 cents per round to a factory equivalent load that runs out of my gun at 1917 fps (240 grain hornady 240 xtp mag) and costs 70 cents each to reload. This one has never seen factory (overpriced) ammo.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/.../460270SAA.jpg

very nice, that's the way to do it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

chad68 01-09-2013 2:52 AM

I found ammo at Cabelas for my .500 that was about $1.80 a pop. Since I don't shoot it much, I think there are worse things I could spend money on. I only shoot at the most 4 times a year and only shoot 10-20 rounds through the .500 each trip.

wellfedirishman 01-09-2013 6:28 AM

If you reload the 500 using hardcast bullets, the cost comes way down.

https://beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm
50 Caliber: about 50 cents each.

Or cast your own for about 3-4 cents each.

ldivinag 01-20-2013 3:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYT (Post 10143652)
I just kept thinking how much money each round costs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

when i shot my 500ES model (2.75" barrel), i dont know what hurt more... my wallet or my hands and wrists after shooting 4 rounds...


lol...

ElDub1950 01-20-2013 3:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad68 (Post 10154903)
I found ammo at Cabelas for my .500 that was about $1.80 a pop. Since I don't shoot it much, I think there are worse things I could spend money on. I only shoot at the most 4 times a year and only shoot 10-20 rounds through the .500 each trip.

That's pretty good. I just looked online and everything I found in stock was $2.50-$3.00 a rnd!

Too rich for my blood.

Whiterabbit 01-24-2013 10:12 AM

If you pay over full retail for stuff:

lead @ $3 a pound, 700 grain bullet = 30 cents of lead.
Powder @ $30 a can, 50 grain charge = 22 cents of powder
Primer @ $5 per 100 = 5 cents a primer
Brass @ $1.80 a pop (factory) amortized over 5 reloadings = 36 cents per shot

I'm being incredibly unfair. 93 cents a shot. And at 50 grains of powder (any) and a 700 grain bullet, you get to only shoot one before the gun blows up.

So really, it's much cheaper than that. :)


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.