Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Gunsmithing & How To (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Anyone have a solution to sticking AR-15 magazine? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=672463)

BumBum 01-06-2013 3:49 PM

Anyone have a solution to sticking AR-15 magazine?

I just recently purchased a slightly used Stag-15 Model 1. Before I call customer support, I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue and/or ideas for a solution. The bottom of the factory 10-round magazine, when latched into place, is flush even with the bottom of the magazine well (i.e no part of the side of the magazine is exposed). When I push the magazine release (a bullet button), it doesn't pop or fall out, and I have nowhere on the magazine to pull it out. The only thing that has worked for me so far is to stick a knife up into the well to pry it out. It sticks very tightly, so it takes a lot of effort to pry it out to the point where I can even grasp the magazine with my fingers (even at that point, I still have to use considerable effort to pull it out all of the way).

Besides this being annoying to deal with, I anticipate having a safety concern in having the gun flail about at the range when I am trying to reload. Any help or tips are appreciated.

komishe 01-06-2013 4:27 PM

take the mag out and look into the mag well. Push the bullet button and hold it. Does the mag release fully extend to allow the mag to drop? It should be completely clear of the mag well(on the inside). If it isn't, google how to adjust it. If it does, try a new mag

BumBum 01-06-2013 8:24 PM

It's not a problem with the mag release. The problem is the magazine fitting too tightly into the well.

Taildraggerdave 01-06-2013 8:29 PM

You can take the mag release out completely to verify if the mag still sticks.
If it does, you can try another magazine or put some tactical duct tape along the side of the mag to give you a tab to pull on.....
See if you can borrow a few magazines from someone to test. If they are all tight call Stag Arms.

Take care,
Dave

hermosabeach 01-06-2013 10:23 PM

You can drill two holes in the mag floorplate and then tie a loop of 550 cord that hands down out of the bottom on the mag.

It gives you something simple to pull out a flush sitting mag

hermosabeach 01-06-2013 10:23 PM

You can drill two holes in the mag floorplate and then tie a loop of 550 cord that hands down out of the bottom on the mag.

It gives you something simple to pull out a flush sitting mag

BumBum 01-07-2013 6:21 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Those are some good suggestions that I will out and try.

the86d 01-07-2013 6:48 AM

See where the scratches are most prevalent, and use a file on those "problem" areas, IF they won't work with you...

OF THE "MAG"...

ott1 01-07-2013 9:14 AM

Get a ranger plate for your mag.

big ron 01-07-2013 9:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taildraggerdave (Post 10132465)
You can take the mag release out completely to verify if the mag still sticks.
If it does, you can try another magazine or put some tactical duct tape along the side of the mag to give you a tab to pull on.....
See if you can borrow a few magazines from someone to test. If they are all tight call Stag Arms.

Take care,
Dave

what he said :oji:

HTLP 01-07-2013 9:46 AM

I have a stag lower and the mag well is definitely tighter than some of my friends mag wells. They mostly have Mega and Aero Precision lowers. I have only used metal mags in my Stag and many have been tight. 3 mags from the same manufacturer all differed in the amount of force needed to remove them but none would drop free. After slightly squishing the center of the mags (all 3 are 20 round bodies made to hold 10) they continue to feed properly, hold 10 rounds and now drop free when the bullet button is depressed.

SJgunguy24 01-07-2013 10:29 AM

Squeeze the mag body in a vise a little. Work over evenly along the entire length of the mag. You don't want to deform it, just massage it.

mycrstuff 01-07-2013 7:58 PM

I have a couple of those flush mount mags and they suck!! The floor plate lip touches the receiver and causes the mag to go in at an angle. Sometimes I have to use a screw driver to get the mag out. It also causes feed problems because of the angle the mag is at. I don't have any problems with regular 10 round mags that extend about an inch below the mag well.

mycrstuff 01-07-2013 7:58 PM

I have a couple of those flush mount mags and they suck!! The floor plate lip touches the receiver and causes the mag to go in at an angle. Sometimes I have to use a screw driver to get the mag out. It also causes feed problems because of the angle the mag is at. I don't have any problems with regular 10 round mags that extend about an inch below the mag well.