Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Curio & Relic/Black Powder (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Muzzleloader Black Powder long guns and pistols. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=672361)

Atlast357 01-06-2013 2:01 PM

Muzzleloader Black Powder long guns and pistols.

Any one interested or actually shoot these?
I just got into it, and having loads of fun.
:2guns:Revolvers so far, now thinking of long gun.

a.tinkerer 01-06-2013 9:56 PM

Black powder and muzzle loaders are indeed great!
Keep it up, and definitely go find a rifle or shotgun to shoot.
Have you determined a budget yet for your long gun?

Cheers
Tinker

a.tinkerer 01-06-2013 9:56 PM

Black powder and muzzle loaders are indeed great!
Keep it up, and definitely go find a rifle or shotgun to shoot.
Have you determined a budget yet for your long gun?

Cheers
Tinker

guitar-nut 01-06-2013 10:29 PM

Yep, they're a blast! My first firearm was a flintlock Pennsylvania Long Rifle I built when I was 11. Check out Dixie Gun Works, they have a pretty good selection.

Are you particular to a certain historical period and ignition system or just interested in Muzzleloaders in general?

Atlast357 01-07-2013 7:11 AM

a.tinkerer: Budget will be determined by what I find that I like. Just shopping to see what's out there. In reality under $400.
guitar-nut: I'm interested in the Civil War and the transition to civilian Western settlement.
Percussion ignition is my choice.

CSACANNONEER 01-07-2013 7:15 AM

BP revolvers are OK. Muzzleloaders are awesome! If you are interested in Civil War reenacting, we have loaner uniforms for people to give it a try before they buy.

http://howitzers.com/

Either use the contact infomation on that site of shoot me a PM.

Tanner68 01-07-2013 8:15 AM

My Lymans Great Plains in 54 cal is one of my few favorite rifles to shoot. There is something primal about black powder that I love. Everything about the rifle, powder, balls, and accessories is so tangible.

My next gun will be a flintlock for small game hunting.

0321jarhead 01-07-2013 8:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanner68 (Post 10135395)
My Lymans Great Plains in 54 cal is one of my few favorite rifles to shoot. There is something primal about black powder that I love. Everything about the rifle, powder, balls, and accessories is so tangible.

My next gun will be a flintlock for small game hunting.

I have the same, except mine is a .50 cal. percussion. They (Lyman Great Plains) are very accurate rifles weather it's a 50 or 54. You can by some cheaper and some more expensive BP rifles but, for the price and quality as well as my first and only I'm very pleased for what I have.

mikestesting 01-07-2013 9:35 AM

In my father's collection that I inherited were included a stainless Ruger Old Army percussion cap revolver and a Thompson Center Arms Hawken percussion cap musket.

I've taken all of his firearms out and shot them, except the muskets. I inherited everything when I was 19 years old. In my younger days I was more interested in fast firing, high kick stuff. I thought it was more exciting. I'm 31 now and I have been increasingly interested to take these black powder guns out.

How cheap/expensive is it per shot? 25 cents per shot? 50 cents? Any ball park figure?

CSACANNONEER 01-07-2013 9:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikestesting (Post 10136011)
In my father's collection that I inherited were included a stainless Ruger Old Army percussion cap revolver and a Thompson Center Arms Hawken percussion cap musket.

I've taken all of his firearms out and shot them, except the muskets. I inherited everything when I was 19 years old. In my younger days I was more interested in fast firing, high kick stuff. I thought it was more exciting. I'm 31 now and I have been increasingly interested to take these black powder guns out.

How cheap/expensive is it per shot? 25 cents per shot? 50 cents? Any ball park figure?

Are you casting your own round balls? Are you shooting plastic sabotted jacketed conicals? Are you making your own BP? Are you making your own caps? Are you buying patches or using scrap material? Are you using a store bought lube? Prices really depend on how deep you get into it and how good of a shopper you are. I've bought cheap chinese BP for a few bucks a pound at reenactments. That stuff is gone though. Figure that you'll use between 50-100 grains of powder, a cap and a projectile. Without shopping around for you, I figure about 20 cents for powder, 5 cents for a cap and 15-25 cents for a patched roundball.

Atlast357 01-08-2013 6:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER (Post 10135020)
BP revolvers are OK. Muzzleloaders are awesome! If you are interested in Civil War reenacting, we have loaner uniforms for people to give it a try before they buy.

http://howitzers.com/

Either use the contact infomation on that site of shoot me a PM.

Thanks for the link to Howitzers, I plan on going to Vista in March to take
in the reenactment.