Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calgunners in Service (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Volunteering for a deployment? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=669055)

Mr.Caketown 01-02-2013 10:15 AM

Volunteering for a deployment?
 
Quick question. How does one go about volunteering to go back to the sand box outside of asking my chain of command? Typical to our 82nd mindset we have decided to forgo medical training to study for the board :confused: . Ive looked at MOBCOP and DAMPS but those only seem to help NG and AR components . I would ask my chain of command but after they have "misplaced" my compassionate reassignment papers twice , my faith is dwindling. I remember AKO used to have a feature in which you could volunteer and pick the legth of deployment , is that still around ? Also Im not Airborne , havent been for the past year and do not intend to go so its only a matter of time before im removed for the big 82

rero360 01-02-2013 10:43 AM

I'm not sure how it occurs, one of my E-5s volunteered to go with another unit early to mid '12. Anyways, My Brigade is sending a group over later this year doing SFAAT, PRT, and QRF (I think all three). I'd say try and hook up with us but we have more than enough guys, people are fighting to get added.

Mr.Caketown 01-02-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rero360 (Post 10087616)
I'm not sure how it occurs, one of my E-5s volunteered to go with another unit early to mid '12. Anyways, My Brigade is sending a group over later this year doing SFAAT, PRT, and QRF (I think all three). I'd say try and hook up with us but we have more than enough guys, people are fighting to get added.

Can I as AD go with NG/AR units? I mean im a Medic so hopefully that would have some leverage. Problem is we arent on the deployment rotation til 2014 and even then its just a rumor

billmaykafer 01-02-2013 11:13 AM

i would volunteer just so i could shoot a full automatic assault rifle that feinstein hates. but i will be 70 in may, and don't want to go to jail for shooting first and not waiting for "incoming". i loved my issued M14 better than my issued M16A1 and or M16A2 as they did not have reach.

Stanksbeamen 01-02-2013 11:26 AM

Not sure how it works but I'm in the USAF and we have UDMs. Unit Deployment Manager, i figure you all would have something similar and thats who I would talk to. Hope it helps and good luck.

rero360 01-02-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDavis (Post 10087657)
Can I as AD go with NG/AR units? I mean im a Medic so hopefully that would have some leverage. Problem is we arent on the deployment rotation til 2014 and even then its just a rumor

I don't see why not, during my last deployment our 1SG got fired shortly after we got in country and his replacement was AD from Ft Carson. I think all the other individual volunteers/ transfers were national guard, the replacement CO was from OK but I don't remember if he was NG or AD.

That deployment was all jacked up, CO and XO fired during the MOB, 1SG lasted a week or two in country, E-4s getting lateraled to Corporal so they can TC trucks and having E-5 and E-6 as gunners and drivers because they were incompetent. Mind you the vast majority (not all) were from P.R.

blap59 01-02-2013 7:27 PM

Your best bet is to ask around and see who is deploying and ask to go. But then you'll have to convince your CO to let you go.

MOBCOP and whatnot is good, but networking with humans will be your best bet.

bigred1 01-04-2013 2:03 AM

For NG and AR its pretty easy to jump on a deployment. For AD your going to have to submit a 4187 up through your chain and it is possible for AD to be attached to NG or AR. This is because while deployed we are all the same as far as uncle sam's check book is concerned.

Mr.Caketown 01-04-2013 2:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blap59 (Post 10092385)
Your best bet is to ask around and see who is deploying and ask to go. But then you'll have to convince your CO to let you go.

MOBCOP and whatnot is good, but networking with humans will be your best bet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigred1 (Post 10105561)
For NG and AR its pretty easy to jump on a deployment. For AD your going to have to submit a 4187 up through your chain and it is possible for AD to be attached to NG or AR. This is because while deployed we are all the same as far as uncle sam's check book is concerned.

Chain of Command wont help me because I dont want to go Airborne

winnre 01-04-2013 2:37 PM

I have been trying to get back but no one wants an E-8. If I was E-5 I'd be over there again yesterday. The best bet is to find a unit who is about to rotate in, and see if you can swap positions with an equivalent rank and MOS there. The military has allowed troops to change duty stations as long as all parties agree.

I for one don't know why they stopped me after two tours. I was already there, there was no training, travel, or other costs involved that occur when replacing me. And plenty of us wanted to stay!

Atlantaboi2012 01-04-2013 2:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blap59 (Post 10092385)
Your best bet is to ask around and see who is deploying and ask to go. But then you'll have to convince your CO to let you go.

MOBCOP and whatnot is good, but networking with humans will be your best bet.

BEST OPTION! Nothing beats a FTF no matter what your doing. Ive known some guys to get some damn good assignments all based on shaking hands with the right people who shake hands with the top people. This is how officers get hooked up on those "special assignments" most times...as an enlisted you have to sell yourself and your skills. Some people may look at it in a negative liight as if your abandoning your team, but todays military is like a business. Only you know whats best for you and your family therefore you need to make the right moves to get ahead in life. That means picking and choosing units that have no money hangups... the more money a command has, the better training, weapons, transportation, equipment, morale, etc its going to have....Hooyah

Mr.Caketown 01-04-2013 6:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantaboi2012 (Post 10109909)
BEST OPTION! Nothing beats a FTF no matter what your doing. Ive known some guys to get some damn good assignments all based on shaking hands with the right people who shake hands with the top people.

I dont think you understand the 82nd ABN ... if you are not going Airborne , then they usually refuse to help you with anything... thats how our brigade rolls. I tried the "FTF" route when I had a "compassionate reassignment"request all they did was brush me off and lose my paperwork (twice btw). Ive got other exampes , but thats another story. Im asking how to do this with out going FTF, Ive looked into ASK in AKO as well but thats fairly limited so im asking for other options

winnre 01-04-2013 8:05 PM

I'm ready to take personal time to go network at Centcom in Tampa.

Matt1984 01-06-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDavis (Post 10111703)
I dont think you understand the 82nd ABN ... if you are not going Airborne , then they usually refuse to help you with anything... thats how our brigade rolls. I tried the "FTF" route when I had a "compassionate reassignment"request all they did was brush me off and lose my paperwork (twice btw). Ive got other exampes , but thats another story. Im asking how to do this with out going FTF, Ive looked into ASK in AKO as well but thats fairly limited so im asking for other options

I have a lot of buddies in the Duce and your right they all say if you don't want to go airborne and want to stay a dirty leg you wont get anywhere in that unit. With that also being said if your not slated for a deployment right now your probably not going to be unless something happens at the last minute. They pretty much know which units are getting deployed till the pull out at 14. Plus if you go towards the end of that you'll just be on clean up duty getting crap ready to come back.

SGT Loco 01-06-2013 11:01 AM

You can look at this website- http://www.calguard.ca.gov/g3/Pages/Volunteer.aspx

It's linked through the Calguard site, but I believe it's universal once inside. You have to log in with either your AKO info or CAC. I've never volunteered for anything through this particular outlet, but I believe other people in my battalion have. Good luck bro! :)

EDIT:: Scratch that, it SAYS it's for guard/reserves. However, IIRC, there's contact info for the units seeking slots filled. You may be able to contact them directly and inquire if you meet the requirements. I would advise being discreet about this though- I don't know how touchy your CoC is about being circumvented.

Raider510 01-06-2013 11:53 PM

Easy fix, transfer to the 101st and go to Air Assault school. :)

You will deploy in no time lol.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.