Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Ammo and Reloading (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   New term: Brass-hole (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=667349)

drkphibr 12-30-2012 8:52 PM

New term: Brass-hole
 
So as a reloader, we all have an affinity for picking up brass.

Most ranges have a policy that you can only pick up your own brass (some more stringent than others) and once the brass is in the range's buckets, it's off limits as the range sells it as another source of revenue.

When I'm shooting at the range, it's usually pretty obvious who to my right or left is a reloader. For those who don't reload and it's a caliber I load, I usually ask if they want their brass. More times than not, they say no and have no issues when I ask if they mind if I sweep up what lands near/around my bench.

Only once did I have an over zealous RSO ask me if I was sweeping up my own brass. When I informed him the lane next to me said it was fine to sweep their brass he went his way (nothing in a bucket was touched).

So today we see this guy. As one of us were shooting, he walks by our lane and starts picking up a few pieces of brass. Wasn't ours, so I didn't pay too much attention (other than we'd seen him before...doing the same thing). Later on, he starts going from bucket to bucket. My group looked at each other and said "WTF?". When he first walked by, he bent down and grabbed a few loose pieces of brass on the concrete. No biggie. This, however, was what I'd consider a blatant no-no by going from bench bucket to bucket and pulling out what looked like large caliber rifle brass (see the full zip lock). Again, not loose brass on the ground, but only brass in the 5 gallon buckets.

So, my group tried to come up with a label describing his actions as we've all seen different levels of brass "fans". Seeing a group of shooters sweep all their brass up and dump it in the range bucket is like fingernails across a chalkboard to anyone who reloads. Such a waste (from my personal point of view), but a benefit to the range in the bigger picture. Reloader "greed" to some degree. So, after bouncing around a few labels, we came up with "brass-hole" for what this guy was doing from bench to bench. He spent so much time at our bucket I couldn't believe an RSO didn't see him and I took out my phone and snapped a few pics. Then we took a few more of him working his way down the lane, bucket to bucket filling his mongo ziplock bag.

Looks like he had his ninja brass collecting outfit on as well...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a...4&d=1356933056

jvpark 12-30-2012 9:15 PM

Man... Give the guy credit for being bold. I would of said something to him... Rules are rules.
Maybe he thought it was an Easter egg hunt?

jvpark 12-30-2012 9:15 PM

Do like your name you gave him...

drkphibr 12-30-2012 9:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvpark (Post 10063844)
Man... Give the guy credit for being bold. I would of said something to him... Rules are rules.
Maybe he thought it was an Easter egg hunt?

He was definitely cherry picking some large caliber brass. Bold to say the least. In hindsight, I should have said something. I was just so caught off guard by how bold his actions were. Next time I will interrupt his bucket brass hunt. I was sure an RSO would say something to him. Made for an interesting twist to an otherwise perfect day at the rage, especially weather wise.

sspen003 12-30-2012 9:29 PM

You should have called him on it and embarrassed the hell out of the guy

checkenbach 12-30-2012 10:28 PM

Brass whore.

goodlookin1 12-30-2012 10:48 PM

Waiting for said Brass Hole to show up in this thread and own it :D

Munk 12-31-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sspen003 (Post 10063959)
You should have called him on it and embarrassed the hell out of the guy

Most of those guys don't get embarrassed. They think stealing is fine because they're stealing from a company and not a person.

SWalt 12-31-2012 12:53 AM

Such a brass hole! Such a brass whore! hmmmmmmmmm................think brass hole rolls off the tongue better

kylemurdoc 12-31-2012 1:11 AM

Reloading is definitely an addiction, I feel for the guy. If I was around I might of gave him a hand full of my older cases.

johnny1290 12-31-2012 4:06 AM

Hah that guy has , uh, nerves!

I saw a guy at the indoor range take a broom to sweep up brass from infront of the line before. I thought he was pretty bold, although he was just getting 'his' brass, I figure once it goes past the bench it belongs to the house.

You can ask the range guys to buy the brass off them. I have never bothered with it, although I wouldn't mind rifle brass..hmm...

Hot Holster 12-31-2012 4:59 AM

One of two things; either the RSO's weren't monitoring the firing line or they were and didn't care that this guy was poaching brass.

drkphibr 12-31-2012 7:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Holster (Post 10065606)
One of two things; either the RSO's weren't monitoring the firing line or they were and didn't care that this guy was poaching brass.

Range was packed and the RSOs had their hands full just dealing with the folks trying to follow the rules. With cameras all over the place and the fact this guy is a "regular" (we've seen him on multiple occasions) to some degree, he knows the rules. Such a shame, just like with the laws, there is always someone who feels they don't apply to them or will just ignore them until caught or banned. Simply not worth it in the big picture. He's feeding his "brass addiction" and I have no doubt it will catch up with him at some point. Karma.

Horton Fenty 12-31-2012 7:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sspen003 (Post 10063959)
You should have called him on it and embarrassed the hell out of the guy

I seriously doubt he would care.

waxer 12-31-2012 7:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drkphibr (Post 10066215)
Range was packed and the RSOs had their hands full just dealing with the folks trying to follow the rules. With cameras all over the place and the fact this guy is a "regular" (we've seen him on multiple occasions) to some degree, he knows the rules. Such a shame, just like with the laws, there is always someone who feels they don't apply to them or will just ignore them until caught or banned. Simply not worth it in the big picture. He's feeding his "brass addiction" and I have no doubt it will catch up with him at some point. Karma.

If he's a regular and has done this before, is there a possibility that he might be a friend of the owner and is allowed to do that at this range? Sometimes knowing someone or being friends with the right people can be a nice advantage. Just a thought....

Rob454 12-31-2012 7:39 AM

I save my brass but only to recycle it. I would of brought it to a ROs attention and left it at that.

hoisumguo 12-31-2012 7:49 AM

I feel for those as myself that are addicted to brass and reloading, but my guess is that the brass hole isn't a Reloader and just selling online....

Of course if he constantly mumbles to himself as he picks up "shiny, must make shiny my preeecious... Shiny brass, clean, yeeesss..." then he's just a Reloader.... ;)

-Hoi

stilly 12-31-2012 11:21 AM

I think that the term brass-hole could very well be a street slang term meaning a-hole brass rat that only seeks to grab brass to then turn around and sell it back to folks...

I myself am a brass rat at the indoor range and a brass hound at the outdoor range. The only difference in my opinion is the rat is for a smaller range and the hound has the room to run all over. I am a hound at bee canyon and steele PeakE and a rat at my local indoor range. ;)

I think that is a good term for that guy. If you are not shooting then GTFO. At least I will shoot at my local range and then turn around and suck up MOST of my brass. Unless it is 44 mag, then I am straight anal about getting it all or I get mad (internally...).

I never fight over brass though since I have a hundred pounds + of it, I still like to grab as much as I can though just cause I like to pick up little shiny things. (thus the RAT in me). If someone next to me at the indoor range is shootiong I will start asking them if they want their brass or not rather then be a recluse with a loud gun in the end stall...


Oddly though I DO have a problem with someone that walks over to my area and starts sucking up all of the brass. Currently my only policy is to stare at them and give them a look of disaproval if eye contact is made. It has only almost happened once. One guy was sucking up every piece of brass that hit the floor before it bounced the second time. I referred to him as the hoover vacuum...

keenkeen 12-31-2012 11:26 AM

Nice fuzzy surreptitious cell phone pic...

Good thing he didn't catch you taking it.

:rolleyes:

stilly 12-31-2012 11:32 AM

Since there was no expectation of privacy I think it would have been okay.

Might have done some good if he did see him taking his pic, maybe he would have left or toned down his actions a bit...

drkphibr 12-31-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keenkeen (Post 10067995)
Nice fuzzy surreptitious cell phone pic...

Good thing he didn't catch you taking it.

:rolleyes:

Oh, he saw me and I have pics that include his face. If he has no problem doing something he's not supposed to be doing, then I have no issues photographing him in the act. I specifically chose a pic that did not show his face.

drkphibr 12-31-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stilly (Post 10068048)
Since there was no expectation of privacy I think it would have been okay.

Might have done some good if he did see him taking his pic, maybe he would have left or toned down his actions a bit...

Doubtful or shameless...or both. Here he is after working his way down a few more benches. Bag is more full and his hand is in the "cookie jar". For individual privacy, I did edit out his face.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a...1&d=1356986915

elhefe50ss 12-31-2012 11:51 AM

i love the shiny aswell BUT i always ASK permisson before picking ..... and like the guy said ill be damned if im gonna leave my 44 mag for anyone lolololol

stphnman20 12-31-2012 11:52 AM

Times are tough. Gotta do what you gotta do! lol Why didn't you inform the RSO?

keenkeen 12-31-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drkphibr (Post 10068125)
Oh, he saw me and I have pics that include his face. If he has no problem doing something he's not supposed to be doing, then I have no issues photographing him in the act. I specifically chose a pic that did not show his face.

Well, if he saw you taking his pic I guess he had no problem with it.

Probably just thought you where sweet on him.

Free brass and a secret admirer...

Win for him.

:clap::clap::clap:

stand125 12-31-2012 1:37 PM

The guy could very well have had permission to grab the brass. When I used to shoot out in Lincoln a couple of the RSO would let me empty the buckets and a few told me no. Most of those RSO take the brass themselves so very little actually make it to the recyclers to make the range money.

classwarfare 12-31-2012 10:51 PM

I was talking to one of the ROs at Metcalf one day and he told me some guy showed up one day told them he wasn't going to shoot and then proceeded to empty all the brass buckets into his bucket. Now that takes some brass!

But as one who hates to leave a perfectly good case lying there I prefer the term "brass recycler"!

the86d 01-01-2013 2:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classwarfare (Post 10074373)
I was talking to one of the ROs at Metcalf one day and he told me some guy showed up one day told them he wasn't going to shoot and then proceeded to empty all the brass buckets into his bucket. Now that takes some brass!

But as one who hates to leave a perfectly good case lying there I prefer the term "brass recycler"!

Now you just need to speak at a local school about environmental concerns, and how you are doing your part... I'd be honored to state some "truth to the kids" about firearms, and ammo... The liberal district wouldn't allow it, I assume. The loony Urban firearm fear that is spreading, is ignorance that can be corrected in the suburbs...

Wrangler John 01-01-2013 4:58 AM

Having been a range officer at a public range I called them brass snarfs. Snarf = to grab something in greed, esp. without permission.

Our range collected the brass and did indeed recycle it along with the bullet lead. A 55 gallon drum packed full of brass weighed 550 +/- lbs, so at $1.75 per lb, they ran $962.50 per drum. We sold four drums of brass at a time = $3,850. Which is why the brass drums were kept locked in a shed. We also allowed a local commercial reloader to pick .45 ACP brass which he would return to us as reloads at a wholesale discount that we could sell at retail. Every possible revenue stream offset budget expenses.

I really dislike snarfs and scroungers.

bruceflinch 01-01-2013 8:37 AM

Brass-hole does roll off the tongue better than Brass-whore. & sounds a bit nicer...

bruceflinch 01-01-2013 8:37 AM

Brass-hole does roll off the tongue better than Brass-whore. & sounds a bit nicer...

JNunez23 01-01-2013 12:01 PM

That's not cool man..

classwarfare 01-01-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrangler John (Post 10076027)
Having been a range officer at a public range I called them brass snarfs. Snarf = to grab something in greed, esp. without permission.

Our range collected the brass and did indeed recycle it along with the bullet lead. A 55 gallon drum packed full of brass weighed 550 +/- lbs, so at $1.75 per lb, they ran $962.50 per drum. We sold four drums of brass at a time = $3,850. Which is why the brass drums were kept locked in a shed. We also allowed a local commercial reloader to pick .45 ACP brass which he would return to us as reloads at a wholesale discount that we could sell at retail. Every possible revenue stream offset budget expenses.

I really dislike snarfs and scroungers.

So here is my problem with that. You sell the brass as scrap, right? So it is taken out of circulation. Why not just let those of us who are, how shall we say, very diligent brass recyclers pay for the scrap value of other people's brass when we leave the range? We get brass, you get your money and it's a win/win.

johnny1290 01-01-2013 1:16 PM

If anybody sees me at the range and I pick up your brass, just tap me on the shoulder and let me know because it was by accident. I *never* pick up other folks brass on purpose. It's their property unless they give it to me (thank you to the folks who have!), or maybe if they leave it behind but I figure it belongs to the range at that point, although secretly I've been conflicted/pleased when I've snagged some by accident hahahhaha It's not like I ever leave with as much brass as I came with, unless it's a really good day. I *love* free brass!

I think at Angeles you can purchase bagged up brass from the RO, although I never have. I've seen em bag it up and seemingly take it home. Just not worth the bother for 9mm.

keenkeen 01-01-2013 1:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruceflinch (Post 10076957)
Brass-hole does roll off the tongue better

There is a fine visual for you...:D

SWalt 01-01-2013 1:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keenkeen (Post 10079521)
There is a fine visual for you...:D

Get yer mind out of the gutter! yeeeeeesssssssshhhhhhhh!

taloft 01-01-2013 1:35 PM

The guys at the range call them bottom feeders.:D

Pretty bold if he is doing this without the permission of the range staff.

Most ranges have rules against taking photographs of other people without their permission. I'd be careful, you might find that you are the one getting asked to leave.




.

Dokbrick 01-01-2013 3:49 PM

Man, there is several fat old men who dump out each container of brass into their 5 gallon buckets at the Metcalf range. Greedy bastards is more like it. All I want are a few .223 brass casings every once and a while.

sixoclockhold 01-01-2013 5:20 PM

My RSO tells me when someone is shooting or shot my caliber and tells me to go get it.

Try giving the RSO a soda and chips once in a while.

classwarfare 01-01-2013 5:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dokbrick (Post 10080909)
Man, there is several fat old men who dump out each container of brass into their 5 gallon buckets at the Metcalf range. Greedy bastards is more like it. All I want are a few .223 brass casings every once and a while.

Actually one of the ROs at Metcalf came over to me one day and asked if I loaded .223. When I said yes he told me there was a lot of good .223 brass in one of the brass buckets and I should get it.

How much .223 do you want? I might be able to get some.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.