Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Hunting and Fishing (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Most exciting hunt you've ever experienced? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=657280)

lewdogg21 12-16-2012 5:13 AM

Most exciting hunt you've ever experienced?

What has been your most adrenaline packed or exciting hunt? Care to share with the masses?

Where:

When:

For what game:

What happened? (the story)

pieeater 12-16-2012 7:04 AM

Hmmm not sure. Been a few times when the pucker factor was high.

pieeater 12-16-2012 7:11 AM

In Botswana I was sleeping in a tent on a cot laying on my side with my face almost against the wall of the tent. When a lion walked up and stood there with his face inches from mine just breathing into the side of the tent. That was kind of exciting.

chicoredneck 12-16-2012 7:26 AM

Many exciting hunts, it's hard to single one out.

Some favorites include a day chasing hogs with Kyle Seevers' (sp?) dogs for a hog contest. We killed 3 really big boars in a matter of a few hours and had a blast chasing the dogs. It was easily the most fun hound hunt I had ever been on.

Have had some great waterfowl shoots that would be unbelievable to the unfamiliar.

The recent elk hunt I went on was pretty awesome simply because of the country.

tankerman 12-16-2012 8:48 AM

Where: Camp Roberts

When: 8-9 years ago

For what game: Hog

What happened?
Morning hunt, starting to get a bit late when hog started hitting the heavy cover.

Had been hunting the fence line looking for hogs coming back from an overnight plundering of the adjacent farms. Was walking a fire cut/road on my way back my vehicle and saw some very fresh sign that crossed my path and also picked up that strong pungent hog scent (could tell a hog was close).

Brush on the down hill side where the tracks led was about shoulder height and fairly dense, but still open enough to be able to walk through without it tearing at your clothing.

Decided to follow the tracks. Stepped off the trail, went about 7'-8', stepped around a large shrub and found myself eye-to-eye with a +300lb boar. This huge beast was only a few feet away from me and staring right at me.

A Mexican Standoff ensued -
Was carrying a Winchester M70 30 06, scoped with a Leupold 3x9, which was next to worthless with an animal standing just a few feet away. I kept the rifle low, with the barrel pointed at the hog and made the decision that'd only pull the trigger if he charged and I'd wait until he ran into the end of the barrel.

He never moved to charge. After a couple of minutes of snorting by him and heart pounding by me, I slowly started backing away and he did the same.

I haven't carried a scoped rifle hog hunting since that day.

Scoped rifles might be fine for some canned hog hunt on a ranch where you're shooting across a field or valley, but most public land hunting involves heavy brush where scoped rifles are next to worthless.

olhunter 12-16-2012 11:02 AM

Where: Simi Valley

When: A looong time ago (before the 118 fwy was built)

For what game: Sparrows

What happened?

I grew up in Simi back in the olden days. My grandparents lived there too. Grandpa bought me a Official
Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle! for Christmas. I was Ralphie before there was a Ralphie.

I was about 6 and had shot Dad's .22 so I knew how to shoot, but this rifle was MINE.

Grandpa took me a couple of miles down a dirt road and I shot anything and everything along the way. Cans, dirt clods, ant hills, whatever.

I spotted a sparrow in a bush about 10 feet away and asked him if I could shoot it. "Yep", he said, "if you clean it and eat it."

I contemplated that for about, oh, 1/2 second, lined up the sights and dropped him.
My eyes got big and I looked up at Gramps yelling "Got him! Got him!...what do I do?"

"Well, hand me your rifle and go get him."

So I ran over there, climbed under the bush, picked the Sparrow up by the tail feathers and ran back.

I remember grinning and shaking I was so excited.

I ran all the way back to the house, holding him at arms length by the
tail in case he came alive and attacked me with his talons.

I yelled "Grandma! I got a bird for dinner!". I held up the family dinner and grinned
while hopping from one foot to the other. She came out, smiled and said "Where's Grandpa?"

"He's coming. He doesn't like to run you know".

"Believe me, I know. Wait till he gets back and he'll show you what to do."

Grandpa got back (seemed like it took hours...probably 5 minutes) and
showed me how to peel the breast skin back and take the meat out.

I ran in the house and showed Grandma my feast (about the size of a thumb).

She put some butter in a pan and fried it up for me and I popped it in my mouth.

Best meal ever.

It's been all downhill ever since....lol.

mif_slim 12-16-2012 1:19 PM

Would go into details but on my phone.

Bear hunted in D5. Stalked it up to 8 yards and nailed it with bow. Best and stupidest hunt...but we were young and fearless.

In another state, I witness my father take 3 deer (legal to fill you tags before reporting. There were 1 buck 3 doe). Took a shot at a doe, 2 other doe confused, my dad knocked an arrow and took another. They start to run and my dad saw a buck come out from the thickets following the others. Nailed that one too....so fast and amazed my dad at 60 years old still able to hunt like he was 20.

NickTheGreek 12-16-2012 1:28 PM

Where: Olympic National Forest, NW Washington State

When: Fall 2008

For what game: Blacktail Deer with a Bow

What happened?: Right after my son's 2nd birthday I decided to expose him to the hunt and embed the idea of harvesting his own food from a young age.

We scouted out an area for weeks and knew some big bucks were moving in the area. On the morning of the hunt, we hunkered down into some ferns and waited. Surprisingly, my son was incredibly patient, quiet, and cooperative.

I heard something in the brush but after staring for a while saw nothing and assumed it was a rabbit or other small game scurrying through the undergrowth. All of a sudden my son yells out "PUPPY!" and he's pointing at this huge Blacktail Deer with a body the size of a small Elk. The Deer was about 40 yards away and was frozen. It didn't see us and only heard the squeaky voice of my son which was apparently non-threatening enough for it not to run away. I drew all 70lbs back from a crouched position, slowly stood up, and arrowed the buck. I gave my son a high five, we pounded fists, and we waited for about 20 minutes after the last time we heard any movement in the brush. The Pope & Young 115" 4x3, 300lb Deer was recovered 20 yards from where I shot it.

http://i.imgur.com/3n9Ps.jpg

Only Deer I ever considered mounting. The original cape got hair slip so it was replaced with another one. Bummer because that dark forehead and double throat patch was gorgeous. Still came out better than expected.
http://i.imgur.com/qLiJh.jpg

Fjold 12-16-2012 3:07 PM

Where: Zimbabwe

When: June 2011

For what game: Cape Buffalo

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=447615

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...a/100_1129.jpg

GeeDog 01-05-2013 10:03 PM

Wish I had a great story, but all my hunts are excitng, from deer to hogs to rabbits and squirrels. I hope I never lose the excitement of having the game in my sights after hard effort and getting that clean shot you can feel good about. Whenever I eat game that I've killed myself I remember the hunt and am reminded of how we are connected to nature and the cycles of life. And I must say, that's one huge buffalo!

randver 01-05-2013 10:48 PM

Where: Ar Ramadi, Iraq

When:2006

For what game: insurgents

what happens in Iraq stays in Iraq. sorry.

jmonte35 01-06-2013 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdogg21 (Post 9932238)
What has been your most adrenaline packed or exciting hunt? Care to share with the masses? )

Where: The Bars in Vacaville

When: Spring of 2001

For what game: Split tails

I got hammered drunk........I decided to dance like a fool which is really important when trying to track down the rare manasha tua. What really helped seal the deal was the scent I was giving off. I was sure to stay upwind of the two which ensured they could smell the old school Polo cologne.

It was one of those rare occasions where everything came together. I was saying all the right things and doing all the right moves. I went in for the kill...I had the two in my crosshairs...bang bang bang they both went down. About that fast.

After the dust settled and I woke up in the morning I realized I bagged two of the biggest beasts I have ever seen in person. I'm not sure they weren't record book big....but believe me when I say they were big.

None the less I was happy because it was my first time with two. What a great memory.

I'll never forget those two splits....

Hunter47 01-07-2013 8:57 AM

Vancouver Island Black Bear spring hunt. 7 days by boat to camp. ATVs on old logging roads (now overgrown). Saw more bears everyday than my total lifetime up until that hunt. Put the stock on 5 bears in the first two days but turned down the shot because they had rubbed big bald spots on their hides. Weather went south after the second day. Chased and glassed for three more days. Finally, on the last day we spotted from the ridge a Bear eating grass out on the estuary. Drove down to the beach and hiked, crawled along the shore line. I couldn't believe our dense the forest was just off the beach. I literally lost my guide in 20 feet and circled back to the beach to get around an obstruction. He was only 10 yards away but we couldn't see each other. I finally heard him and we laughed. Finally crossed over to the estuary and didn't see the bear. started walking back and suddenly there he was. He was 70 yards away. I found a perfect depression on the bank of a small creek and put my cross hairs on him. My guide told me not to shoot. I looked up and asked him why. He said the bear was facing the wrong way. I couldn't even tell be cause he was so black in my scope I couldn't see my crosshairs in his body nor could I what direction he was going. Finally, he turned and I shot him. Man, I have never seen a bear move so fast in my life. He took off like Carl Lewis. Turned 180 degrees and headed back into the forrest. I was able to get one more shot into him but it was a rear shot. We waited for a couple of minutes then we had to go into the forest to find him. That was nerve racking. We were on a giant tree trunk that had fallen and was covered in moss (slippery) when my guide said, "there he is". I thought the bear was going to charge but he was dead. I was very happy to say the least. We worked overtime to prep the hide since we were leaving in the morning.