Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Curio & Relic/Black Powder (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Mosin Bolt Jammed? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=655871)

whyhatchu 12-12-2012 6:43 PM

Mosin Bolt Jammed?

Okay So I'm in the processing of cleaning my mosin.

I used boiling water to clean the bolt and then put it in my dad's (vibrating chemical bath thing, not sure what it's called. He's a jeweler). I put it back together and tested it out in another mosin. It's really hard to lift the bolt, not like gritty hard but like hammer the bolt and still won't budge hard. The only way to lift the bolt is to pull the knob in the back, back a bit before I can lift it and slide it to the rear.

I don't think I'm putting it back together wrong, I'm putting the bolt on the other mosin back the same way and it's working perfectly fine. Does anybody know what's wrong? Oh and the bolt was fine before the cleaning. Any input would be much appreciated, thanks!

Jeff L 12-12-2012 11:42 PM

Did you put it back together dry or did you put a light coat of oil on it 1st? Metal parts like lube.

TheYellowDart 12-13-2012 12:00 AM

Check the firing pin and spring, see if either are bent or catching on something. Also, make sure the firing pin is seated to the correct depth.

Aside from that lube is another good place to start.

Also, you may want to check out online how to polish the bolt. Iraqveteran8888 has some good videos on youtube.

whyhatchu 12-13-2012 12:37 AM

I will try those things out tomorrow, thanks!

dzhao20 12-13-2012 1:02 AM

I had the same thing, you did a damn good job on clean the parts, you need some grease on the moving surfaces or some damn oil. heat the parts a bit then apply the oil or grease, works great.

sd_shooter 12-13-2012 4:35 AM

Bolt was fine before the deep clean, lesson learned.

0321jarhead 12-13-2012 5:05 AM

Sounds like cousin cosmo is messing around. He's such a sticky guy when he gets put in the chamber of ill repute.

bellts 12-13-2012 7:07 AM

The chamber of ill repute... Sounds like a girl I used to date.

G-Man WC 12-13-2012 7:41 AM

Sometimes I''ll need to take a 45cal copper brush to the chamber when running a lot of milsup ammo with lacquer or "Poly" being deposited in the chamber.
I found if you don't let the rifle cool and fire a few rounds of non lacquered ball ammo will help clean it out.
-g

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellts (Post 9910439)

Date ... or rent?

LCU1670 12-13-2012 7:45 AM

I used an old hotgun bore brush on a drill.

sd_shooter 12-13-2012 9:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0321jarhead (Post 9910213)
Sounds like cousin cosmo is messing around. He's such a sticky guy when he gets put in the chamber of ill repute.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellts (Post 9910439)

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Man WC (Post 9910549)
Sometimes I''ll need to take a 45cal copper brush to the chamber when running a lot of milsup ammo with lacquer or "Poly" being deposited in the chamber.
I found if you don't let the rifle cool and fire a few rounds of non lacquered ball ammo will help clean it out.
-g

Date ... or rent?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LCU1670 (Post 9910572)
I used an old hotgun bore brush on a drill.

Fellas, he's not shooting it, just trying to put the bolt back in. How can it possibly be a dirty chamber? And before he cleaned the bolt things were ok :confused:

backstrap 12-13-2012 10:06 AM

Actually he's put the bolt Into a different rifle. If remember right you can also flip the firing pin 180-(may be confusing myself with mausers). So If you can take the bolt apart flip the pin so it's the way it was for the last 50 years. I'm pretty sure the pin has wings that push on the bolt head and assist the cocking.
Put the bolt into the original rifle. These parts wear together so putting a 70 year old bolt into another rifle may cause some function issues.

bellts 12-13-2012 10:16 AM

I would look at the extractor, firing pin depth, metal burrs or other debris in the chamber. Junk likes to hide in the extractor channel (upper left of the chamber)

watt79 12-13-2012 11:17 AM

If its functioning properly in the rifle it is matched to whats the issue? It could just be that it doesn't like being forced into the other rifle.

bellts 12-13-2012 1:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Man WC (Post 9910549)
Date ... or rent?

Isn't it the same thing at the end of the day? Money is leaving your pockets one way or another.

bellts 12-13-2012 1:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watt79 (Post 9911804)
If its functioning properly in the rifle it is matched to whats the issue? It could just be that it doesn't like being forced into the other rifle.

It's not functioning properly in the rifle it is matched to. Right?

watt79 12-13-2012 3:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellts (Post 9912607)
It's not functioning properly in the rifle it is matched to. Right?

I thought he was saying it works fine in his gun but not in his dads gun? Possible reading fail on my part.

Edit: Yep, my bad. Misread the post.